Another take on the dubbing block

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Tom Smithwick

Another take on the dubbing block

Post by Tom Smithwick » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:45 pm

I always used the dubbing loop method if I wanted a shaggy fur body. No block or anything, just inserting the fur noodle or cut fur into the waxed loop by hand. Since joining this site, I have seen the advantages of the block for mixing furs, etc. I determined to see if I could come up with a vise mounted alternative, so that I could spin the bodies as I tied the fly. No reason, just a preference. The first attempt was OK, but the smooth top of the block proved a bit squirrely to work with. I ran across the idea of using an iron on fabric patch, I think it was Ray's idea. That helped a lot. Here's what I ended up with. I'm not tying a fly here, just using some thread and fur that I hope shows up. Oh, and Happy St Patricks day.
The thread laid in the groove and covered with fur

Thread laid over the fur with a hook in place to spin the thread. Bobbin hanging over the hook. A fairly heavy bobbin is a good idea.

Same step from the back of the vise

Thread twisted, block swung out of the way, ready to wrap the body.

Tom Smithwick

Re: Another take on the dubbing block

Post by Tom Smithwick » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:14 pm

A look at the bottom of the block. It helps to have a metal lathe, but the same could be done with a hardwood block. I thought I might need to drill through the bushing and tap it for a set screw, but on my vise the block bumps into the adjustment screw on the jaws, and stays put.
The flies were tied using the block. The Isonichia from a beaver fur chenille which was then trimmed to shape. The Hendrickson flymph from blended reddish brown and silver mink fur.

Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:29 pm

Nicely accomplished Tom. I have been using a Norvise for a couple years now to make prespun dubbing ropes with a similar block set up. I haven't quite figured out the best method while on the hook yet. You have given me some ideas.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:40 pm

Wow that's awesome.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:00 pm

Devilishly clever, Tom. A toolmaker's mind at work,
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:04 pm

Great looking patterns sir! I like the vise too.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:25 pm

Hi Tom,
Great to see your inventiveness. Very cool.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:08 pm

Tom,
A really great idea esp. the groove cut into the block! That would change the dynamics of how the fur radiates from the two layers of spun thread. Wow, you really got us thinking.....
Intrigued D.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:44 pm

Tom, it's always cool to see the variations on the theme. You'll have a bit more control over the trickier dubbing than a typical dropped loop, and keep the extra stand of thread as part of the body that you lose with the split thread. I watched Carl work with his nor vise platform in Roscoe and it really had potential. I hope you fool with this to discover its advantages.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:35 pm

Tom - brilliant version of the dubbing block. I like the fact that your hands are left free to manipulate the dubbing and the block can be positioned level with the hook shank. I need to give this a try. This variation of the dubbing block looks quite effective. Very cool.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean