Sylvester Nemes Soft-Hackles

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Sylvester Nemes Soft-Hackles

Post by William Anderson » Wed May 13, 2015 5:24 pm

I have quite a few of these to share and I'll try to photograph them in coming days. First just a sneak peak. Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone maintained a relationship with Syl's wife, Hazel and a some point she sold a few to them to offer for sale. I know there are a couple other members who have managed a few for themselves, and if you've photographed any, or if you have any of the flies attached to his books that you would like to share, this would be a good place to do that. I'll start with a thorax P&O and a P&G. It's quite a mixed bag of flies, some look to have been fished, most were not, but these were selected from his boxes.

Sylvester Nemes tied Partridge & Orange
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
zen leecher

Re: Sylvester Nemes Soft-Hackles

Post by zen leecher » Thu May 14, 2015 10:41 am

I finally broke down and called Blue Ribbon. They still have some of Syl's flies left and I managed to get some for a display.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu May 14, 2015 4:31 pm

Good for you, Bill. I like having these,especially the ones with tippet in the eye and some thread worn bodies. Some are pristine, very well tied and others look more side streamside hatch matching. They really are very cool.

Here's the P&G

And a nice Hares Ear

It seems every one of these are on a different hook, not unlike my own boxes. Many are tied off at the bend, some at the eye, a few with a pheasant tail head. A number of these are recognizable patterns, but most are a combination of an established pattern and his own preferences. Very few wire ribs, but often bringing the tag up as a thread rib. It takes some time to process them but I hope you enjoy seeing them.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu May 14, 2015 4:59 pm

How about a very well worn Tups Indispensable. Anyone want to venture a guess on this hackle? And check out the pheasant tail head.

w
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Premerger

Post by Premerger » Thu May 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Snipe?
How hard can it be?
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu May 14, 2015 11:44 pm

Thanks for sharing William. The pictures are nice.

I would guess sage hen on the hackle.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri May 15, 2015 11:45 am

Snipe or Sage Hen...I'm afraid with many of these patterns his selections are just beyond my immediate recognition, especially a couple of the wings or hackles that are either undercoverts of grouse or starling or woodcock. They are easily substituted to my eye in color and behavior, but someone might be more acute on the differences. I'd love to hear a clarification as these are posted.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri May 15, 2015 11:50 am

A fished Green Drake (presumable Western Green Drake, although its as yellow and bright as an Eastern Green Drake) pattern with an underwing of brightly dyed deer hair. There is a mottled hen hackle and there is a type of hair hackle in front, too thin to be deer, looks more like hares mask guard hairs, but I'm not sure.

Nemes tied Green Drake

An interesting tippet knot, not one I use. If you recognize it I'd be curious to hear what it's called.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri May 15, 2015 1:22 pm

That is a great looking pattern! Love how the tippet is still on the eye. The resolution on that last photo is very nice, I can see the hackle wraps under the silk on the head, neat.

Might have to steal this for some June fishing. :)
Premerger

Post by Premerger » Fri May 15, 2015 7:16 pm

William Anderson wrote:Snipe or Sage Hen...I'm afraid with many of these patterns his selections are just beyond my immediate recognition, especially a couple of the wings or hackles that are either undercoverts of grouse or starling or woodcock. They are easily substituted to my eye in color and behavior, but someone might be more acute on the differences. I'd love to hear a clarification as these are posted.
Was hoping you had the answer William!
The dull colour and length made me think of moorhen first but the speckled nature prompted the snipe guess.
How hard can it be?