March Brown Flymph Var. I

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

March Brown Flymph Var. I

Post by tie2fish » Sat May 16, 2015 8:17 am

Some recent on-stream observations have convinced me that the March Browns on at least some Northeast streams are significantly lighter and more yellowish than most of the traditional patterns I've seen. In an attempt to more closely represent these insects, I arrived at the following:

Hook: Daiichi 1550, Size #12
Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer #32, Classic Chestnut
Hackle: Golden plover, neck area
Tail: Bronze mallard
Rib: Copper wire, medium
Body: Red fox in #3 Primrose silk (pre-spun courtesy of William A.)

Last edited by tie2fish on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: March Brown Flymph Var. I

Post by William Anderson » Sat May 16, 2015 11:44 am

Bull I'm glad you like that red fox blend. It's a very creamy tan from behind the ears on the mask. You certainly worked your way to a beautiful combination for this imitation. I wish all my flies could be tied with the plover but at the rate I lose them I'd better sick with the partridge. =). That chestnut under body should really look great wet.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun May 17, 2015 7:49 am

Gorgeous pattern Bill. I am curious how light the body will remain after it is wet.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun May 17, 2015 9:43 am

DUBBN wrote:Gorgeous pattern Bill. I am curious how light the body will remain after it is wet.
After soaking in untreated well water for approximately 1 hour; a little bit darker, but almost exactly the color I was hoping for ...

Last edited by tie2fish on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun May 17, 2015 9:52 am

tie2fish wrote:
DUBBN wrote:Gorgeous pattern Bill. I am curious how light the body will remain after it is wet.
After soaking in untreated well water for approximately 1 hour; a little bit darker, but almost exactly the color I was hoping for ...

Amazing! Excellent job Bill!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun May 17, 2015 1:39 pm

Bill I had fleeting aspirations to put a few flies like yours in the wet tank and get the camera..fleeting because I got my honey do list and photographing flies wasn't on it. So I'm elbow deep in paint.

Quick tip. The shots you've taken wet are very telling and tell the story, if you preferred a shot without all the bubbles add to the mix you have to use distilled water. It'll be crystal clear. The true test would be to get water straight from the Willow for your pics. =).
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
crazy4oldcars

Post by crazy4oldcars » Sun May 17, 2015 5:43 pm

The bubbles are from pressurized tap water. Water under pressure will have dissolved air, which will come back out of solution once the pressure is released.
An easy remedy is to leave water in a jug for uses like this.
I love the pic with the bubbles. It reminds me of the spiderweb pics with morning dew on them.

Kirk
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon May 18, 2015 1:09 am

Morning dew..... or frost? :twisted:

Very nice Bill, I like the tail and length of hackle. Never hurts to carry a few colour variations of most any pattern. ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Mon May 18, 2015 8:25 am

Boy that looks good under water, great shot Bill!
crazy4oldcars

Post by crazy4oldcars » Wed May 20, 2015 7:55 pm

LOL, Jeff. We don't get a lot of frost down here.

Kirk