New Backdrop for Tying Vice

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

New Backdrop for Tying Vice

Post by letumgo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:15 pm

A couple months ago I bought a new gizmo off Amazon, which makes a great visual backdrop for my portable tying station.

Amazon called a "Loc-Line Coolant Hose Accessory, 7-1/2" x 10" Quick-Set Medium Shield Kit, 3/4" Hose ID"
https://www.amazon.com/Loc-Line-Coolant ... 22+Hose+ID
Product Description: "Quick-set medium shield kit. Shield rotates 360 degrees. Two mounting options include a movable magnetic base or a direct mount. 1/8" thick polycarbonate. Filled magnetic base prevents chip entrapment. Include a 14" adjustable 3/4" Loc-Line arm, magnetic base and fitting for fixed mounting. 3/4" Hose inside diameter."

This thing is normally used as a clear face shield in front of drill press to provide protection from flying chips and splashing fluids. The polycarbonate shield ships with an opaque white film protecting the surface. I decided to leave the plastic film on the shield, since it provided a nice clean background behind my vice.

Here are a couple views from the backside. The arm holding the backdrop is fully articulated, meaning you can adjust it to any angle/height you want.

Here is the view from the perspective of the tyer sitting at the vice. Nice clean background with diffuse white light.

DISCLAIMER - I have no affiliation with Amazon, nor Loc-Line. I just wanted to show another possible application for this cool little device.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Re: New Backdrop for Tying Vice

Post by hankaye » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:36 pm

Ray, Howdy;

BINGO !!! :D

Think ya got it.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:58 am

Nice find, Ray.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:51 pm

My gosh Ray,
You should apply for a patent! What a great idea! The white-ish background is great for picking up on tying quirks and, in my case, out-right mistakes made while bringing the fly to its finish! Fiendishly clever Ray!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:31 pm

That is a really nice find!
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:09 pm

Yep, about to order one. Nice find Ray!
tjd

Post by tjd » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:46 am

Ray,

You have found a great solution to a real tying challenge! I have the HMH profile plate for my vise. The arm that holds the profile plate protrudes toward me, on the left hand side, and sometimes catches or gets in the way during a tricky procedure. I suspect I could shorten it, but haven't.

I appreciate the need for a clear tying background that a backdrop provides, especially since bifocals became a part of the challenge about ten years ago.

I've also found that taping small squares of different colored construction paper onto the plate works well, especially when tying lighter patterns and the white background does not provide the contrast needed.

Well done, Ray!

Best,

Tim
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:04 pm

That is a working solution from the brain of a slick engineer. I use a round piece of light blue emery board, about 5 inch diameter, taped to a piece of stout copper wire that is fitted to the vice stem. This is infinitely adjustable and cost me nothing. The backdrop is somewhat tilted and the surface disperses the light in a way that is very easy on my eyes. I can swing it out of my way with my fingertip if needed.

dd
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:46 pm

Cool idea, Ray. I use a commercial backdrop for my tying. Renzetti, I think. It is a white square, but I cut out some thin colored foam that I clip to it wth bulldog clips at the top when I get bored with white. Grey and light blue. And, aren't magnets GREAT? I also use a cork stopper made for jars to hold finished flies.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold