Sherbrook's Copper & Partridge

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ScottP

Sherbrook's Copper & Partridge

Post by ScottP » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:05 am

Last edited by ScottP on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Sherbrook's Copper & Partridge

Post by letumgo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:17 pm

Oh man, that's terrific! I love the color combination. The wing and copper body harmonize beautifully.

Are you in the process of filling a box with winged patterns? I would love to see a photo of the full set someday.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:54 pm

Beautiful, Scott. Is the wing a single tented turkey tail segment or two paired? And is it coated with a stiffener?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
ScottP

Post by ScottP » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:03 pm

letumgo wrote:Are you in the process of filling a box with winged patterns? I would love to see a photo of the full set someday.
Ray,

Maybe a food storage container (that's where I store flies I tie; once it fills up, I try to find an open spot for them in a flybox).

tie2fish wrote:Is the wing a single tented turkey tail segment or two paired? And is it coated with a stiffener?
Bill,

It's a pair of segments from the tail. I did not apply stiffener - the nozzle on the can of spray lacquer I have clogged so I tied them as-is.

Regards,
Scott
ScottP

Post by ScottP » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:18 pm

Last edited by ScottP on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Wow! Some very nice ties there Scott. I guess I can see cloaking the wing as in Scott's first fly shown especially if one is going for a very low wing profile. This is a technique I need to work on for sure. John mentions it being a pain to tie on hackle after the wing has been set. Yes, quite often I find the taper of thread brought about after the wing is tied in can cause problems. I now try to remember to get some tread wraps in front of the wing so as to get a flat surface on which to wrap the hackle.

Regards, Jerry