Sherbrook's Copper & Partridge

Moderators: letumgo, William Anderson

ScottP
antispam: No
count: 3

Sherbrook's Copper & Partridge

Post by ScottP » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:05 am

A few minor changes (his was Copper & Grouse), mostly because I can't find the damn copper tinsel that's been on my bench for the past 2 weeks.

hook - Dai Riki 075 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 brown
tail - golden pheasant tippet
rib - small oval tinsel gold
underbody - dubbing
body - holographic tinsel copper
hackle - partridge
wing - turkey tail

Regards,
Scott
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Sherbrook's Copper & Partridge

Post by letumgo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:17 pm

Oh man, that's terrific! I love the color combination. The wing and copper body harmonize beautifully.

Are you in the process of filling a box with winged patterns? I would love to see a photo of the full set someday.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"Casting a fly rod in these tight quarters takes patience (swearing quietly to ones self helps too)."
tie2fish
count: 5

Post by tie2fish » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:54 pm

Beautiful, Scott. Is the wing a single tented turkey tail segment or two paired? And is it coated with a stiffener?
In ancient times, cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
ScottP

Post by ScottP » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:03 pm

letumgo wrote:Are you in the process of filling a box with winged patterns? I would love to see a photo of the full set someday.
Ray,

Maybe a food storage container (that's where I store flies I tie; once it fills up, I try to find an open spot for them in a flybox).

tie2fish wrote:Is the wing a single tented turkey tail segment or two paired? And is it coated with a stiffener?
Bill,

It's a pair of segments from the tail. I did not apply stiffener - the nozzle on the can of spray lacquer I have clogged so I tied them as-is.

Regards,
Scott
ScottP

Post by ScottP » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:18 pm

Tied this one with the regular copper tinsel body and switched the turkey wing from point-up to point-down, just to see (think I like the other way better); also got the wing more on top of the shank (less shoulder).

Regards,
Scott
WiFlyfisher
Site Admin

Post by WiFlyfisher » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:04 pm

Beautiful tie!

I like it better on top of the hook shank, but I doubt the trout care one way or the other. I find when tying a bunch of the same wing wet fly pattern at one sitting it is difficult for me to make each one look like an exact copy of each other.

Some tiers add the hackle after tying on the wing which I have always felt was a pain to do and made no difference to the fish.
Jerry G
count: 5

Post by Jerry G » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Wow! Some very nice ties there Scott. I guess I can see cloaking the wing as in Scott's first fly shown especially if one is going for a very low wing profile. This is a technique I need to work on for sure. John mentions it being a pain to tie on hackle after the wing has been set. Yes, quite often I find the taper of thread brought about after the wing is tied in can cause problems. I now try to remember to get some tread wraps in front of the wing so as to get a flat surface on which to wrap the hackle.

Regards, Jerry