Where have all the Soft Hackle Tiers gone?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FliTrap

Where have all the Soft Hackle Tiers gone?

Post by FliTrap » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:59 pm

Is anyone still getting by here to post? I was gone a few months myself but it appears I was last to post anything....Hmmm. Did I really burn everyone out?
Jerry G

Re: Where have all the Soft Hackle Tiers gone?

Post by Jerry G » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:42 am

Hi Trap,

Back on the 18th of last month there was a query at least very similar to yours. It can be found in the Fishing Cabin with the title Saturday Morning Musings. It was when I first read that post that I recalled how concerned our dear friend Mark Libertone would get as fresh posts to then his site would start to fall off. I'm pretty much a lurker as we are called having never taken the initiative that many have to display my interests as a soft hackle or Flymph tyer or fisherman. I am quite sure there are any number of reasons why forums such as this become dormant after a while. I suspect at least one of those reasons has to do with changes in the way we communicate or display our interests and talents. Blogs come to mind as there are now several who have chose that route to share their individual talents and interests. It is a shame to see this forum slow or to think that it may be reaching (heaven forbid) its need as there has been so much very useful information openly shared here for all to learn from. One has to believe there is more interest, talent and history waiting to be shared from this simple little fly that has brought us all together. Okay, off my soap box. Hope you all don't mind my rambling.

Regards, Jerry
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:07 pm

I think it's the same on many fly fishing b/bs or other specific interest sites... places like FB and Instagram et al are the competition now. Take tying for instance.. there are so many really good FB sites with a lot of interactive stuff, tying vids etc.... oh and there are a few with specific soft hackle / wet fly content as well.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:55 am

Howdy All;

Think I mentioned this in the "Saturday Morning Musings" thread but in case I didn't,
I kind of noticed that a lot of folks here tend to taper off their input to the forum
during the off season. Perhaps they have a larger amount of their time devoted to
some other indoor activities as well as doing their tying for the up coming season ... :?
Whatever it is, generally, like a good steak dinner it to shall pass ... ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Sorry to say but, I do post a lot of my stuff on Instagram. It's just easier I suppose. The conversations don't really exist like they do on here though.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:31 am

Well besides tying for some planned August roadtrip fishing, I just went to the Northwest Fly Tyers Expo. :D

ImageIMGP4046 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

While there I tied my Kithen Flymph (that I posted here last month) as well as my PMD Transition Flymph. Flymph was spoken as I gave away flies to interested tyers of all ages.

Flymph and other wingless wet fly tying and fishing discussions ranged from beginner's questions to nuances from Soft-Hackle Fly Addicts (who actually learned to tie them from Sylvester Nemes). As usual I came away from both sides of the tying tables with new tips and flies to add to future discussions here on the Forum.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Bill,
Wonderful to see your smiling face and your awesome tying setup.
Lance
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Bill, That is a great show. Always enjoyed tying there. I don't think I ever wore a tie though. Lots of good info from both sides of the table. I used to tie hundred of flies at the shows and when I was done, they were all gone. Kids got a lot of them, but folks new to soft hackle flies got a bunch too, along with my methods of fishing them. Miss that. Failing eyesight sucks.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:21 pm

Classic Flymph Tyers tying tie less-Oh My!! :o ;)

Back in 2011 I know of three that were there at the show.
ImageIMGP3337 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

ImageIMGP3332 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

I miss both of you and the feather bending discussions at the vise.
ashley

Post by ashley » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:34 pm

I get by when I can but it seems that if I'm not working then I'm either tying flies or sleeping but no work tomorrow, its fishing instead.