Deleatidium Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Deleatidium Flymph

Post by tie2fish » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:17 am

While I was scouting around on the internet looking for interesting patterns for the Lost NZ Flies swap, I learned that there is a medium sized mayfly of the family Leptophlebidae that is relatively common in cold, clean NZ streams and provides a significant portion of what trout eat in those waters. It is called “Deleatidium” and has two or three subspecies that provide working hatches during the year. It resembles, to my way of thinking, our isonychia (slate drake) mayflies, with longish tails and a streamlined greyish body. The wings are also grey, but unlike the monochromatic slate grey of the isonychia, the wings are variegated with black markings.

I had flymphs on my mind as a result of Carl’s suggestion for holding a flymph raffle to raise funds for IBF pins, and thought I might try to come up with a deleatidium flymph. So, I mixed up a batch of dubbing consisting of 70% kit muskrat/30% hare’s ear and spun some bodies on Pearsall’s #10 ash gossamer silk. Then I took a now-vintage Mustad 94842 Size #12 up-eye hook, tied in two hackles by their butts (one grey and one badger with one side stripped on each) using claret gossamer thread. I wrapped a tag of small gold flat tinsel, added three bronze mallard flank fibers for tails, tied in the tinsel again for a rib, added and wrapped one of the spun bodies, palmered up the rib, brought the hackles back together in three wraps, caught them with the thread, took two turns of thread through the hackle, and finished off with the signature cone head.

Here is the result (after three attempts):
Deleatidium Flymph III.jpg
Deleatidium Flymph III.jpg (57.32 KiB) Viewed 6159 times
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
hankaye

Re: Deleatidium Flymph

Post by hankaye » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:52 am

tie2fish, Howdy;

Mr. Bill, beautiful fly. The write up is also appreciated. Kinda fun to read the reasoning and
thought processes and the tying instructions behind the final offering.
Thanks for the nice wake up.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
ScottP

Post by ScottP » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:08 am

Beautiful tie; what kind of hackle is that?

Regards,
Scott
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:48 am

ScottP wrote:Beautiful tie; what kind of hackle is that?

Regards,
Scott
Both are hen cape, Scott.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:44 am

Bill, that's a beauty. I like to think if I saw this in isolation I could have recognized it as a Shuck flymph. All the refined markers are there. Beautifully done. Obviously not a natural I'm familiar with and I imagine from your description this is a fair match. I'd be curious to hear from the locals how this fly hatches. I'm always looking for all the various ways flymphs might be presented to dial in on a hatch.

Great to see this one.

W
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:36 am

Bill that is a lovely new creation! 8-)
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Nice! Very close to another which is Zeplophlebia. If you can get it down to 14 - 16 it'd be perfect!!!
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:08 pm

Bill, that is subtle and beautiful for so many reasons.
The double stripped hackle technique is a new one to me.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:03 am

Thank you to all for the positive comments.
Premerger

Post by Premerger » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:12 pm

gingerdun wrote:Bill, that is subtle and beautiful for so many reasons.
The double stripped hackle technique is a new one to me.
Not something I'd have considered on a soft hackle/flymph due to the complexity of getting the job done.
I'm presently struggling with 2 hackles on a #8 rabbit lure!
Great skills Bill.
I think it's high time you took that fly fishing.
How hard can it be?