Partridge and Orange

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Partridge and Orange

Post by William Anderson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:01 pm

I don't know if I've ever photographed a straight up P&O. Check this one off the list.

This is Pearsalls Gossamer 6a on a #16 Daiichi 1480. I really like this hook for spiders. It's like the Alec Jackson north country spider hook but without the crystal finish.

dry

wet (well, mostly. I soaked it but it looks like the shank started drying before I could fire off a couple shots.)

wet (soaked the one on the left and dripped the one on the right.)

Plus a touch of red fox

"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Roadkill

Re: Partridge and Orange

Post by Roadkill » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:31 am

Elegant and classic ties!!
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:49 am

Roadkill wrote:Elegant and classic ties!!
... and the touch of fox is wonderful.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:40 am

Thanks, fellas. This past year I've been experimenting less and loading boxes with standards. I usually include a fine gold rib on P&O's and half my stash is tied using a more darkly mottled partridge and #19 silk.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:57 am

William

Interesting that you mentioned using a gold ribbing on your P&Os. Although the "standard" P&O, P&Y, P&G, etc. all work fine, I'm starting to tie (and fish) more of the old dressings with wire ribbing and a peacock herl thorax or head. More towards the dressings that Sylvester Nemes pictured in some of his books, rather than the original rib-free / thorax-free dressings.

Bob
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:10 am

William,
Getting partridge small enough for those little 16s is a challenge. Even for 14s. Perfection. And your photography is looking great.