Biot & Plover March Brown

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Biot & Plover March Brown

Post by tie2fish » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:54 am

Here's another of my favorites that got deleted. It is one I tied for a IBF swap in the spring of 2013, so there are several out there in members' hands ...

Biot and Plover March Brown
Hook: Vintage Mustad 38932, Size #12
Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer #6a, light orange
Hackle: Golden plover (neck area)
Tail: Bronze mallard barbs
Abdomen: One tan and one sulphur turkey biots tied in and wrapped together, notches forward
Thorax: Natural hares ear, twist dubbed

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
daringduffer

Re: Biot & Plover March Brown

Post by daringduffer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:34 pm

This is my all time favourite fly. They don't get more beautiful than this. I showed it to a friend who agreed, but "the whisks are a bit long". We ain't friends no more - we haven't spoken since.

dd
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:56 pm

That's funny, Stefan. :lol: :lol:
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:36 pm

That's gorgeous Bill, absolutely beautimus. :D I love the two tone turkey biot! Never thought to wrap two of them together . Do you tie them in on top op each other like you would two hackles or do u leave a space/tie one in front of the other?
Tails too long!!! :roll: who needs friends like that, there's simply no accounting for taste or in their case lack of... You've done well to ditch them Stefan, your reputation stays in tact ;) (insert thumbs up emoji here)...
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:32 pm

fly_fischa wrote: Do you tie them in on top op each other like you would two hackles or do u leave a space/tie one in front of the other?
One on top of the other by their tips, Karsten. Then offset the large ends ever so slightly, grab both with English hackle pliers and wrap forward together.
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:29 pm

tie2fish wrote:
fly_fischa wrote: Do you tie them in on top op each other like you would two hackles or do u leave a space/tie one in front of the other?
One on top of the other by their tips, Karsten. Then offset the large ends ever so slightly, grab both with English hackle pliers and wrap forward together.
Thank u my friend, I might have to give that a try, love the effect ;)
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Totally gorgeous fly. Good to see it again.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:55 am

This is one of my favorites too Bill. Such a graceful pattern.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:07 pm

Yes! This is easily one of my all time favorites. I remember after seeing this one shifting my own style preferences to match it.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:19 am

Bill,
It looks so real (as with all of your patterns) like it could crawl across your tying table! It has that wonderful "alive" feature to it that says to hungry and discriminating trouts, eat me! I love your work Bill! It is experience and craftsmanship and skill coming to the top and resulting in the art that is before us!
Keep it going Bill! We wanna see more!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.