Darbee Hackle Fly on Allcock W173

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Darbee Hackle Fly on Allcock W173

Post by tie2fish » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:02 pm

During the recent weekend in Roscoe celebrating the induction of Pete Hidy into the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum's Hall of Fame, I had the good fortune to meet member Dana Reed (Theroe) and swap a few flies. Dana was also good enough to gift me with some amazing original Darbee hackle feathers, some Allcock vintage hooks, and a small piece of a Southern Fur Seal pelt.

I have since spent some time attempting to mimic the Ivan's Varient pattern that Dana has introduced to us, a proven fish killer originated by his friend and mentor Ivan Willard. After several attempts and valuable guidance from Dana, I have finally produced a fly that I'm not ashamed to post here. The body is a trimmed hackle stem, the thorax is a blend of the seal fur and raccoon tail underfur, and both the tail and wing are barbs from the stem that forms the body. They are tied on a Size #10 vintage Allcock W173 hook.

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Darbee Hackle Fly on Allcock W173

Post by letumgo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Bill,

Nice! I love the body taper. Did you get that shape entirely from the quill, or did you augment it with a thread underbody? Please spill your secrets. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:18 am

letumgo wrote:Bill,

Nice! I love the body taper. Did you get that shape entirely from the quill, or did you augment it with a thread underbody? Please spill your secrets. ;)
Only a moderate buildup with tying thread, Ray. I'm certainly no expert with quill bodies, but it looks as though the amount of taper enhancement required is a function of the quill being used. Dana also gave me some smaller quills for use on smaller hooks, and the difference in stem diameter from small end to large end is significant. These require little or no underbody buildup to produce a nice even taper.
Last edited by tie2fish on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks Bill. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:45 pm

Old man, old hook and old hackle, but the triumph is fresh.

dd
swellcat

Re: Fresh Triumph

Post by swellcat » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:24 pm

Old man, old hook, and old hackle, but the triumph is fresh.
(Epic!)
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:02 pm

That is gorgeous Bill and the quill body looks amazing... K
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Another Classic Bill! I just can't believe how truly good your tying is! You are the premier tier on the Atlantic coast....perhaps the world!
Pal Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:08 pm

DOUGSDEN wrote:Another Classic Bill! I just can't believe how truly good your tying is! You are the premier tier on the Atlantic coast....perhaps the world!
Pal Doug
You know what Doug? I second that motion - very seriously. Bills flies are ALWAY “just exactly perfect”

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....