Sawada's Heckham Silver

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ScottP

Sawada's Heckham Silver

Post by ScottP » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:59 am

Last edited by ScottP on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
fly_fischa

Re: Sawada's Heckham Silver

Post by fly_fischa » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Beautiful tie as always Scott, I meant to u ask u before about your winging technique. The wings on the wets you have posted recently almost have a half cylinder effect, like they are tied out of one continuous slip rather than two matching slips paired and folded. I don’t know how else to describe it, hope it makes sense? How are you tying these,you have me intrigued...
Karsten
Ps. I love Sawada’s book, mine is in storage. From memory there was a large yellow softhackle tied with a yellow guinea fowl from memory? Might have been called The Allen, I always wanted to tie that pattern but never got around to it...
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:50 am

Those mallard secondaries can be a bitch. I’ve tied many many Peverill ‘o the peaks and Heckhams ( Heckham - it’s a great name for a cat BTW ) and almost every time those damned secondaries get me..... not that the trout care, but for macro pics... arrrrrgh!
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:51 am

And what’s more, if a Tyer of your ilk finds those secondaries a hassle, then I feel vaguely better about them. :D
ScottP

Post by ScottP » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:33 am

fly_fischa wrote:The wings on the wets you have posted recently almost have a half cylinder effect, like they are tied out of one continuous slip rather than two matching slips paired and folded. I don’t know how else to describe it, hope it makes sense? How are you tying these,you have me intrigued...
Karsten,

Just paired and folded, maybe a bit of overlap due to thread torque that creates the cylinder effect (completely unintentional).
fly_fischa wrote:Ps. I love Sawada’s book, mine is in storage. From memory there was a large yellow softhackle tied with a yellow guinea fowl from memory? Might have been called The Allen, I always wanted to tie that pattern but never got around to it...
Allen's Mayfly

Took this from Mr. Sawada's site; subbed wire for oval tinsel rib.

hook - Mustad 94840 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tail - pheasant tail
rib - small wire gold
body - floss yellow
body hackle - badger
collar - guinea dyed yellow

Regards,
Scott
swellcat

Re: Yeller

Post by swellcat » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:19 am

. . . large yellow softhackle tied with a yellow guinea fowl . . .
Hot, fresh flies, made to order . . . while you wait!
ScottP

Re: Yeller

Post by ScottP » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:18 pm

swellcat wrote:
. . . large yellow softhackle tied with a yellow guinea fowl . . .
Hot, fresh flies, made to order . . . while you wait!

Rush job; needs a second coat of Sally on the head.

Regards,
Scott
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:55 pm

HA, That's the one Scott, thank you so much for taking the time to post the recipe and tie one :D Such a pretty fly, very bold hackle for some reason I loved the look and flow of it...
Re the wings, I quite like the look but daresay it'd be a hard effect to achieve consistently after your reply...
Well you've inspired me to pull my finger out and tie one last fly before Christmas eve and appropriately after all these years and your kind reply I'll post my version of Allens Mayfly in the wingless wet section.
Happy holidays to you and yours Scott. K :D