Hook rants and other nonsense

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

hankaye

Re: Hook rants and other nonsense

Post by hankaye » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:46 pm

WiFlyfisher, Howdy;

"Am I a rare, cranky old duck that finds I order a lot from across the pond lately?"

My response would be NO. You are a human being that finds what you want where
it is and order it from that source where found. Nuttin' wrong nor odd there. But, as is said
to many times these days, is just my opinion...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:39 pm

Thanks John, I'm glad you like it.

Bill
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:56 am

WiFlyfisher wrote:I think ages is getting to me... I definitely prefer bronze hooks versus black nickle hooks.
Maybe it is age, me too am older than last week, but I have the same preference for bronze hooks. I bet your experience is much more vast than mine, but confidence doesn't need to be based on science. In all walks of life, sound confidence is a good thing. When tying and fishing it is essential. (This last statement isn't an opinion, it is a fact). And that is relevant for choice of material and their sources too. If you want a discussion about ultimate choice I will have difficulties to participate :)

dd
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:05 am

John ~ I know what you mean about domestic shops and quality natural tying materials. A shop in my area at one time was fully stocked with all of the traditional soft hackle tying stuff, including things such as Cookshill plover, red grouse, snipe, woodcock and other "European" birds skins, plus a full array of Collins hen sets, silk threads, etc. Sadly, no longer the case.

There are still a few smallish (as opposed to Cabela's and Bass Pro) shops around that cater to the soft hackle guys, but for the most part one has to shop on the internet -- often overseas.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:17 am

Let's face it running a fly shop or trying to make a living off of fly fishing is a tough thing to do. The. Competition is fierce only the best will survive.

Tom
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:13 am

I spoke to Joe at Dette's about soft hackle material and specifically Cookshill. He had spoken to Great Feathers who Bill is eluding to. His answer was that by the time you paid for shipping, customs duties and inspection it would just not be profitable. The shop I worked in had both Veniard's and Cookshill to get the price point we had to add many $$$'s to the retail price. It's also a limited market as there is very little info on true spiders, flymphs and soft hackle tying. That is one reason this forum is so special and better access is needed.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:08 pm

JMJ
+1 for EVERY post in this thread.

Bronze hooks?
Wings?
Silk?

+2 for the last post by Bob(narcodog)

All so very true......
Soft and wet - the only way....
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:54 am

narcodog wrote:I spoke to Joe at Dette's about soft hackle material and specifically Cookshill. He had spoken to Great Feathers who Bill is eluding to. His answer was that by the time you paid for shipping, customs duties and inspection it would just not be profitable. The shop I worked in had both Veniard's and Cookshill to get the price point we had to add many $$$'s to the retail price. It's also a limited market as there is very little info on true spiders, flymphs and soft hackle tying. That is one reason this forum is so special and better access is needed.
I understand the reasoning behind this but....if it is not making needed profit in itself, maybe it would draw other business to the shop? Think about Blue Ribbon Flies. I guess they sell items that might cost them money to provide but makes their business attractive. It's about finding that balancing point. Probably our niche in fly fishing still is just too small, or most shop owners are outside, not even looking in. I can't blame them...

dd
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:29 am

WiFlyfisher wrote:More of my nonsense comments:

Have you seen Competitive Angler's Cookshill offering? https://competitiveangler.com/product-c ... rs-hackle/

John
Thank you very much for this link, John. Looks yummy.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:55 am

daringduffer wrote:
narcodog wrote:I spoke to Joe at Dette's about soft hackle material and specifically Cookshill. He had spoken to Great Feathers who Bill is eluding to. His answer was that by the time you paid for shipping, customs duties and inspection it would just not be profitable. The shop I worked in had both Veniard's and Cookshill to get the price point we had to add many $$$'s to the retail price. It's also a limited market as there is very little info on true spiders, flymphs and soft hackle tying. That is one reason this forum is so special and better access is needed.
I understand the reasoning behind this but....if it is not making needed profit in itself, maybe it would draw other business to the shop? Think about Blue Ribbon Flies. I guess they sell items that might cost them money to provide but makes their business attractive. It's about finding that balancing point. Probably our niche in fly fishing still is just too small, or most shop owners are outside, not even looking in. I can't blame them...

dd
I have been a customer of BRF for years and I have been in the shop many times. Their selection of soft hackle material is limited to what is locally available. They don't have the imported hackle we as s/h tyers desire. The shop I worked in had a Scottish Grouse we had to charge $70.00 for it, we sold them but it took two to buy it, they split it in half. I think that Cookshill has been fortunate that customs have not opened any of his packages because he would most likely be out of business for shipping to the US.
I have also spoken to Charlie Collins about overseas shipping. His understanding with his customers is pretty straight forward. I'll sell the material to you BUT if it gets hung up in customs and the product is destroyed it's your loss. He shipped to Japan and Ireland and I don't know if he ever had a problem.
Joe is not like that, he with his new business, could not stand to take a hit of a few thousand dollars.
He already has to pay import fees on the Marriott rods and the Partridge hooks he imports which is reflected in his prices .

On a side note I bought one of his Marriott 9' 6" rods from him in 3/4 line weight, I must say it is a sweet casting rod. I have not fished it yet but I am looking forward to it when I get out west next month. Some may ask why the 3/4 designation? According to the sales literature, 3 is for presentation and four for distance. It should be a very good soft hackle rod.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."