Picric Dyed Mole Skin

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Picric Dyed Mole Skin

Post by letumgo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Mostly I use scissors to clip off what I need, then finger blend the fur for tying.

I’ve used a rake (metal) and pinch/pull method to. They all work, but I like scissors best.

I wish I could get my hands on one of the old LAW Ceramic rakes. They are supposed to have excellent for working with mole skins and rabbit masks.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:17 pm

Occasionally, the LAW dubbing rakes come up for sale on eBay but the price is usually staggering. I read the problem is he can't get that exact ceramic anymore.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:11 am

I use the "pluck" method; it lets you take only what you need and puts it where it is best handled (in your fingers).
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:32 pm

WiFlyfisher wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:56 am For raking the fur I wonder how something like a Wahl replacement blade for animal clippers would work with a 1/16" cut length? It would be easier to adjust the angle in your hand than a hacksaw blade.

https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Professiona ... B014HCXY0E
Interesting idea, John. Try it - you have a 30 days satisfaction guarantee. (I stick to my Law rake. It was rather cheap when I bought it).

dd
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:16 pm

WiFlyfisher wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:56 am For raking the fur I wonder how something like a Wahl replacement blade for animal clippers would work with a 1/16" cut length? It would be easier to adjust the angle in your hand than a hacksaw blade.

https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Professiona ... B014HCXY0E
That’s exactly when I use, John. And it works like a charm .
Soft and wet - the only way....
Trifly

Post by Trifly » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:58 pm

I use a razor blade.
REE04419

Post by REE04419 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:45 am

Luckily, I was given a LAW ceramic rake when they were still available. I was tying at the Albany, Oregon show and mentioned to some folks that you could use sections of hack saw blades as rakes, varying the TPI for different uses. One of the folks watching asked about the LAW rakes and I said they were supposed to be great, but very dear, so I had never used one. The second day of the show a small package addressed to REE showed up on my tying desk. In it was a LAW ceramic rake. Turns out it was from a new fan of soft hackles and flymphs that lives in Oregon. We still chat often.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:14 am

Howdy All;

I was lucky as well, when I first started tying and was the "New guy" here I received a package
one day that had I think 3 mole pelts in different colors and a Wasatch dubbing rake. I've used
it quit a few times and it works very well. Might set up an ebay search for one of them as well.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:47 pm

I love my dubbing rake. I use it all the time as a "3rd hand" when I'm tying. I use it to rough up bodies. I use it to adjust ribbing. I use it to hold hair back with each consecutive turn. I use it to rake out hackle. I even use it to rake dubbing from mole skins and others. :D
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:12 pm

You wil love it John. And thankyou.

Tom
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"