Yellow Spiders

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Yellow Spiders

Post by joaniebo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:38 am

In the Oliver Edwards video where he ties North Country Spiders, he does a Yellow Spider dressing that I really like. Here's a pic of my feeble attempts at doing Mr. Edwards' Yellow Spider.

Hook: Daiichi 1550 size 14
Body / Thread: Pearsall yellow silk
Hackle: WHite hen hackle dyed in turmeric
Attachments
Yellow Spiders.JPG
Yellow Spiders.JPG (204.61 KiB) Viewed 3232 times
Last edited by joaniebo on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tie2fish

Re: Yellow Spiders

Post by tie2fish » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:45 am

Many of us have fallen short in attempts to copy the talented Mr. Edwards, but your yellow spiders are a mighty fine effort.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:56 am

I forgot to mention that the yellow hackles were actually white hackles dyed in a Turmeric, water & white vinegar solution (which I also use to dye gray / dun hackles into various shades of olive).
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:01 am

Lovely spiders, and thank you for adding the comments about dying the hackle. Nice to see the results, and be inspired to try this myself. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Wow! That dye bath really came out well.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
dj1212

Post by dj1212 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:17 pm

Nicely done. I know of the video of Oliver Edwards tying the yellow spider. I'd like to know more about the dye you speak of. Could you give more information or tell me where I could find it? Thanks much.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:41 am

Turmeric is a spice most people find in their kitchen. Easy to aquire in other words. Easy to use, also. You got to be careful so the yellow stays where you want it :D .

I have dyed wool and fur using turmeric. Some of it keeps the new colour for years and some fade. I have been more successful using alum instead of vinegar. It could be just a coincidence with som other reason for the result, but that is what I have been using from then on. Alum is sold where you find turmeric, at least in our grocery stores.

Bill Bailey is the pro in this department. There are other members with more experience than I have...

dd
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:51 am

Beautiful color. I, too, would like the details of the dye bath; I love the idea of dyeing with vegetable matter. How much turmeric was required and did you have to keep revisiting the bath to achieve the end color?

Has anyone ever dyed material using beets? ...or anything else out of the garden.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:46 am

I've used artichoke for an olive color dye bath. Gave a nice natural light olive color.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:43 am

I take an old jelly / jam jar, add some turmeric, maybe a tablespoon full (approx.), fill the jar 2/3 of the way up with warm water, then add a couple drops of white vinegar. Put the lid on the jar, shake the jar to dissolve the turmeric and then add the hackles.

I leave the hackles to soak for a couple hours, then drain the jar and keep adding clean water until all the yellownsoultion is out of the jar.

When wet, the hackles stick together, so I separate them and place them on a paper towel to dry. Once dried, I fluff them up (back and forth on the stem) to get them back to their original shape.

Some interesting hackles can be made with turmeric. Light tipped starling then look a little like Golden Plover. Grizzly whites become a yellow Grizzly, etc. As mentioned previously, grays become various shades of olive.