Starling quill

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

dj1212

Re: Starling quill

Post by dj1212 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:31 pm

Every time I look through posts on this forum I am amazed and informed. The flies, the literature, the history, the discussions are the best! Thanks from me to all that contribute. I really do enjoy it.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:00 am

dj1212 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:31 pm Every time I look through posts on this forum I am amazed and informed. The flies, the literature, the history, the discussions are the best! Thanks from me to all that contribute. I really do enjoy it.
Amen.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:59 am

Yet ANOTHER great thread on FF - every nice indeed!

I couldn't help but notice, at the top of the second page(59) starling is spoken of as "one of the easy winging materials".

Also - a lovely specimen you have in the William Mills snelled fly.

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:51 am

Excellent thread.

You know, I've never tried tying in slip wings forward and then bringing them back over to finish the fly... I'll have to give that a go later tonight.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:44 am

Eric - thats also how I was taught to tie them in. IMHO, it make the wings much more durable, not to mention they sit perfectly square!

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 am

Just to add a couple considerations Tom.

1. Starling is notoriously difficult for slips like this (regardless of what it said in the book :D ). It's thin and doesn't stay "zipped" well.
2. For this reason, don't fret too much, once wet it mostly all comes apart.

Your flies look great and the more you work with the material and tie this type of fly all the little stuff that bothers you now will work its way out. It really is one of those techniques that just comes with practice.

One tip I was given years ago when tying this type of wing...it is very important where you take your slips from the feather. The best section is the 3rd quarter up from the bottom, along the longer fibered edge of the feather. Next to that, the middle third. You can certainly use most of the feather just not with the same outcome.

The other tip I received, which seems odd but really helped me. When holding the slips on the hook to be tied in, use your thumb and middle finger (not your pointer finger). You need to pinch with the tips of your fingers. Put your thumb and pointer together and notice the mostly non-symmetrical way they fit together. now put the tips of your thumb and middle finger together, on most people they are much more symmetrically fit. Makes a difference when you are pinching and tightening down on the feathers to tie them in.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:53 am

Throw some of these in the Secret Santa Swap!
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:43 am

Davie McPhail often substitutes other feathers for starling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KY_Pp_ARZ ... e=youtu.be