Tying with Scrap Feathers

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Boarmountain

Re: Tying with Scrap Feathers

Post by Boarmountain » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 am

Yes, I've used them. "Mini" schlappen. I use them on wooly buggers and some other patterns.

On a side note, what hook is that?
Mike B.
International, North American, National champion taxidermist specializing in "catch & release" fish mounts
Custom bamboo and glass rods
www.prairiedrifter.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:55 am

Like Mike B., I have used them on buggers and also on featherwing streamers like Lefty's Deceiver. But I really like John's idea of trying them as collar hackle to produce ultra-soft spider patterns.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Yes. I’ve used these feathers too. One of the things I like about them is the triangular taper of the hackle length. It gives the fly a nice profile (larger in front and narrow at back. I like to strip the fibers from one side, so I can adjust the hackle density by adjusting the spacing of my wraps.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:04 am

I'm like Bill, I use them mostly for buggers and featherwing streamers. I have used them as hackle to both on wingless and winged wets as well as for steelhead hackle.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:42 pm

We actually use a lot of those particular feathers up here; trolling streamers behind the ol' square stern after ice out is eagerly anticipated every spring. Trout and salmon teeth peel the hide right off those feathers so we go through a lot of them.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:12 pm

Mike,

I think we have a lot in common, in terms of experience. I too have fished at ice out, trolling streamers to catch trout and salmon in the Adirondacks. Sounds very similar to me
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:37 am

letumgo wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:12 pm Mike,

I think we have a lot in common, in terms of experience. I too have fished at ice out, trolling streamers to catch trout and salmon in the Adirondacks. Sounds very similar to me
This year spring never showed up. Ice out up here was the second week in May and even then it kept thinking about freezing up for another month. I used to think ever streamer I tied had to be Carrie Stevens worthy; somehow you get it into your head that being from Maine you need to 'represent' the brand with flawless ties.

I like Fran Betters. Most of my streamers have far more in common with his tying philosophy than with Carrie's. I save scrap feathers now specifically for spring streamers, they work just fine and I'm not making myself neurotic anymore.