Upstream Wet Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Greenwell

Upstream Wet Fly

Post by Greenwell » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:25 pm

Upstream Wetfly Diagram.jpg
Upstream Wetfly Diagram.jpg (324.47 KiB) Viewed 19832 times
Fishing wet flies upstream seems almost impossible to many anglers but it's not really if one knows the basics of it.
I was looking through some books searching another topic and came across this diagram and brief description. As simple as the text and line drawing seem to be, here is the technique presented as well as I have seen it anywhere.

The book is River Fly-Fishing Theory and Technique by L. Baverstock. It is one of a series of small angling handbooks from the "How to Catch Them" series that was published in the 1950's and 60's. Some very good writers contributed to the series including Oliver Kite and C.F. Walker. These have become highly sought after and while only a few are devoted to fly fishing, most being about coarse or sea angling, they are interesting, and in some cases rare, little gems and collecting the entire series is quite a feat.
Theroe

Re: Upstream Wet Fly

Post by Theroe » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:50 am

Ollie Edward’s has an excellent dvd on fishing the upstream wet fly - I haven’t seen it in quite a while, but I believe it’s one of his “essential skills” series.....One hi light I do remember is that he uses the hand twist retrieve.

Theroe
Soft and wet - the only way....
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:40 am

Yes, Oliver does have a great DVD showing the technique very cleary. I have watched him fish the method on the Ure in Yorkshire and he does use the hand-twist retrieve. The length of line that he uses past the rod tip is barely longer than the rod. It takes a small leap of faith for most American anglers to embrace fishing so close to themselves.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:52 am

Theroe wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:50 am Ollie Edward’s has an excellent dvd on fishing the upstream wet fly - I haven’t seen it in quite a while, but I believe it’s one of his “essential skills” series.....One hi light I do remember is that he uses the hand twist retrieve.

Theroe
At the beginning of this video, Oliver Edwards fishes a team of North Country Spiders with the "upstream method" PLUS, shows how to tie several spiders. The entire DVD is worth getting and watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI8PctDqfUA
ronr

Post by ronr » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:49 am

this definitely would work on the Crooked River in Oregon.. slightly stained water, lots of boulder gardens, can get close to the fish..... looks like Euro nymphing with wet flies to me..
Boris

Post by Boris » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:04 pm

Edwards: "....... Upstream, you hooking the fish, is so much more fun, give it a go!"

I agree with him whole heartedly.
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:10 pm

I spend more time fishing upstream nymphs and wingless wets in Wisconsin's Driftless Area than any other method. Probably 3/4 of the time onstream. I love it, and the methods are very effective. G.E.M. Skues eloquently captured the delights of upstream wet fly and nymph fishing in Minor Tactics of the Chalk Stream (1910):

The indications which tell your dry-fly angler when to strike are clear and unmistakable, but those which bid a wet-fly man raise his rod-point and draw in the steel are frequently so subtle, so evanescent and impalpable to the senses, that, when the bending rod assures him he has divined aright, he feels an ecstasy as though he had performed a miracle each time.”
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:20 am

PhilA wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:10 pm I spend more time fishing upstream nymphs and wingless wets in Wisconsin's Driftless Area than any other method. Probably 3/4 of the time onstream. I love it, and the methods are very effective. G.E.M. Skues eloquently captured the delights of upstream wet fly and nymph fishing in Minor Tactics of the Chalk Stream (1910):

The indications which tell your dry-fly angler when to strike are clear and unmistakable, but those which bid a wet-fly man raise his rod-point and draw in the steel are frequently so subtle, so evanescent and impalpable to the senses, that, when the bending rod assures him he has divined aright, he feels an ecstasy as though he had performed a miracle each time.”
He really knew how to put his sentences together!

Another author from that time with a language to enjoy was Harold Russell. His 'Chalkstream and Moorland' is a good read from an openminded fisherman.

dd
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:43 pm

John - Seeing the parabolic arc of the fly line in the diagram reminded me of several photos I'd take when fishing with some of our flymph brethren. One of the thing that had caught my attention, was seeing how carefully the line was controlled during their drift...a skill I am still learning to emulate.

Here is a picture of Chris Stewart (tenkarabum) fishing:

William Anderson presenting wingless wets:

Ruard Janssen:

Eric Kelly (smuggler):

Unfortunately I do not seem to have any pictures of you, Bill or Lance during the drift. It seems like all the photos I had you guys was while you were catching fish. :D ;)

Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:13 pm

De Puys Early '80's0001.jpg
De Puys Early '80's0001.jpg (246.75 KiB) Viewed 17066 times
Here's one of me casting in 1986 on De Puy's Spring Creek, fishing a PT nymph upstream. Whatever happened to that handsome young guy?