Molasses Cake

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Molasses Cake

Post by Old Hat » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:23 pm

AKA Treacle Parkin.
Treacle Parkinreduced.jpg
Treacle Parkinreduced.jpg (213.9 KiB) Viewed 3124 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Roadkill

Re: Molasses Cake

Post by Roadkill » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:35 am

8-) 8-) OK, I'll have to tie a Shoo Fly Pie! ;)
redietz

Post by redietz » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:28 am

Roadkill wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:35 am 8-) 8-) OK, I'll have to tie a Shoo Fly Pie! ;)
I've often wondered if treacle parkin isn't pretty much the same as shoo fly pie.

Remember what the dormouse said: "They lived on treacle. It was a treacle well."
Bob
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:13 am

Now go out and catch yourself a grayling, Carl. Using that fly, it would be possible even in Florida. ;)

dd
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:48 am

redietz wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:28 am
Roadkill wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:35 am 8-) 8-) OK, I'll have to tie a Shoo Fly Pie! ;)
I've often wondered if treacle parkin isn't pretty much the same as shoo fly pie.

Remember what the dormouse said: "They lived on treacle. It was a treacle well."
I've never had shoofly pie. I've always been a big molasses fan. I may have to try it. Plus none of my family likes molasses. So that's a bonus for me. :lol:

The treacle parkin certainly seems more cake like than pie like. But still very moist. It seems to traditionally have oatmeal and ginger added as well. Probably more like a loaf of ginger bread.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
redietz

Post by redietz » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:15 pm

Being of Pennsylvania-German descent, shoo fly pie is soul food to me. There are wet bottom and dry bottom versions, and the latter are a lot like the descriptions of treacle parkin that I've seen.

Back, on subject, though, nice flies. Probably a piece of cake to fish.
Bob
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:33 pm

redietz wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:15 pm Being of Pennsylvania-German descent, shoo fly pie is soul food to me. There are wet bottom and dry bottom versions, and the latter are a lot like the descriptions of treacle parkin that I've seen.

Back, on subject, though, nice flies. Probably a piece of cake to fish.
I'm right there with you wet bottom is my preferred favorite. I just made a raisin pie, also know in PA. Dutch country as a funeral pie.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:11 pm

All this talk of Funeral pie and Shoo Fly pies, both wet and dry bottom is making me hungry! Actually, I was in Lancaster, PA just yesterday. Having enough PA German in my ancestry to be genetically hard wired to crave that stuff, but also knowing that the girlfriend is baking up a Holiday storm, I bypassed the pies in the market and instead bought a couple lbs of Scrapple for Christmas breakfast, a family tradition for as long as I can remember.
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:23 pm

Greenwell wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:11 pm All this talk of Funeral pie and Shoo Fly pies, both wet and dry bottom is making me hungry! Actually, I was in Lancaster, PA just yesterday. Having enough PA German in my ancestry to be genetically hard wired to crave that stuff, but also knowing that the girlfriend is baking up a Holiday storm, I bypassed the pies in the market and instead bought a couple lbs of Scrapple for Christmas breakfast, a family tradition for as long as I can remember.
Scrapple, I love that stuff. On my home from the Catskill's in June I stopped for a visit with a cousin. He took me to an Amish butcher near Williamsport. I bought a whole pan of it, about 6lbs. Brought it home sliced it up and vacuum packed it for the freezer.

Oh, nice fly. :D
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:51 am

Haven't considered this one, but looks like a good cutthroat patt... Put it on the winter tie list. And reading down the thread makin me hungry. No fly police here. ;)