Three basic Soft Hackles that worked great for me last year!

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Greenwell

Re: Three basic Soft Hackles that worked great for me last year!

Post by Greenwell » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:19 pm

JC,

Yes, I'm planning on attending the Expo again in 2019 and it looks like they are going to have me do a tying demo which will be my first one at this event. Also, I'm tentatively planning on doing a tying class at Gate's in May. If/when this is scheduled I'll post it on the Forum.

I've seen the crazy prices that are being asked for Mike Harding's book and I just can't understand why. It did sell out pretty rapidly after it was published but it's not that important of a book, not nearly so much as Rob Smith's The North Country Fly. I would suggest that you pick up a copy of Fogg's A Handbook of North Country Trout Fliesif you don't already have it; much more information in it but without the pretty color pictures.
I think I'm going to take the Harding off my reading list because no one can find it now and when it is offered it's at unrealistic prices.
jcwillow777

Re: Three basic Soft Hackles that worked great for me last year!

Post by jcwillow777 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:43 pm

Greenwell wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:19 pm JC,

Yes, I'm planning to be attending the Expo again in 2019 and it looks like they are going to have me do a tying demo which will be my first one at this event. Also, I'm tentatively planning on doing a tying class at Gate's in May. If/when this scheduled I'll post it on the Forum.
Cool, I'll have to catch your demo. Let me know what name to look for. I usually go with my fishing/hunting buddy every year. Think I'm gonna help the club with set up this year. I will be opening my cottage in May, gonna do the 234 turkey hunt and some fly fishing, so I'll most likely be up there when you are doing your tying class at Josh's. I get his monthly news letter/email and I'm sure he will mention it. Looking forward to meeting you at the Expo.

I have the Robert Smith book, and I got it signed (not expecting that) at a reasonable price from Coch-y-Bonddu books in England. It is an excellent book. I liked it so much I scanned it into my computer so I can have a copy at home and at my cabin. John Shaner mentioned that Smith has another book that will be coming out, not sure when. If he's at the Expo I'm gonna ask him about it. I got a few other books from there too.

I have 2 of Roger Fogg's books, The Art of the Wet Fly and Wet-Fly Tying and Fishing. Both good books. The one you mentioned is going for $692.43 on Amazon. Guess I'll have to pass on that one. I did see Mike Harding's book going for $99 several months ago, but I decided to let it go. Now it's going for $2,269.75. That's just crazy.

I just saw that Greenwell and John Shaner are one in the same. Thank you so much for your presentations. Looking forward to another one this March! You have changed my fly fishing forever, for the better!
Greg