Spotted Sedge Emerger

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

UC Steve

Spotted Sedge Emerger

Post by UC Steve » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:33 am

ils 003 (600x562).jpg
ils 003 (600x562).jpg (130.84 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
This is a redux of B.C. guide, Rod Zavaduc's pattern, which is killing though complicated to tie. Experimentation boiled it down to this version which produces just as well.
Hook: #14 Mustad 3366
Thread: tan UNI 8/0
Hackle: partridge
Rib: fine silver wire
Abdomen: pearl midge flash -- 3 strands twisted with tag of the tying thread
Thorax: hares mask with over-shroud of Hareline UV Pink Shrimp Dub -- this stuff is the secret sauce.

The UV material doesn't photo well for me, & is actually a light rootbeer color with multi-color highlights. It looks heavy on the dressing but you lose a lot of it after a fish or two. And try chopping & blending a bit of this into the dubbing for your Hares Ears. Magic.
tie2fish

Re: Spotted Sedge Emerger

Post by tie2fish » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:18 am

That looks really deadly, Steve. Wish there were a way to see what it looks like in the water, as I expect it fairly glows. UV dub, eh?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:36 am

Steve,

Is there any chance you could do a tutorial of the tying steps? I’d like to see the way you tye assemble the pattern.

Great fly. I’d very much like to tie and fish some of these.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:17 pm

tie2fish wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:18 am That looks really deadly, Steve. Wish there were a way to see what it looks like in the water, as I expect it fairly glows. UV dub, eh?
Bill, it's gathering a lot of light in the photo light-box, way more than in the wild. Not nearly as bright in the water, particularly right up against dusk when I usually fish it. It must stand out enough though, because it works very well when your fly has to compete with a bazillion naturals. I'll send you a few & you can check out what it looks like wet.
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:22 pm

letumgo wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:36 am Steve,

Is there any chance you could do a tutorial of the tying steps? I’d like to see the way you tye assemble the pattern.

Great fly. I’d very much like to tie and fish some of these.
Ray, sure, can do that. When I get it done I'll post it in the tying section.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:28 pm

Steve,

I love the pattern and will have to tie it and your Sparkling Sedge SH Emerger and fish them off in different light
or water conditions this spring.

Your Upper Columbia Flybox contains some other gems as well! 8-)
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:50 am

Roadkill wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:28 pm Steve,

I love the pattern and will have to tie it and your Sparkling Sedge SH Emerger and fish them off in different light
or water conditions this spring.

Your Upper Columbia Flybox contains some other gems as well! 8-)
Hey if you tie & fish them, send me a report on results. Research. :roll:
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:53 pm

Hey Roadkill, I'd love to see your versions of Steve's Sedge emerges when you come this way next month.. I'll tie some up too and we'll compare notes and results...

UC Steve... been adding some of the shrimp ice dub to some fur in different flies and love the look...As soon as the weather allows, we'll see how the fish like them
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:39 am

ronr wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:53 pm Hey Roadkill, I'd love to see your versions of Steve's Sedge emerges when you come this way next month.. I'll tie some up too and we'll compare notes and results...

UC Steve... been adding some of the shrimp ice dub to some fur in different flies and love the look...As soon as the weather allows, we'll see how the fish like them
UV secret sauce.

Been super-busy, but about ready to post a tutorial on tying the patt (I don't think very many here really need that though, but I'll put it up sometime over the next couple days).
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:14 pm

Steve...I'd love to see that how too... I'm using the patterns in your book for inspiration...