Deer Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

UC Steve

Deer Fly

Post by UC Steve » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Deer Fly 008 (600x497).jpg
Deer Fly 008 (600x497).jpg (80.85 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
Bill’s recent posts of alternating-band fly bodies reminded me of the many species of banded terrestrials found around trout streams – small wasps, sweat bees, deer flies. I’ve found these in trout stomachs during summer, so thought it might be worthwhile to explore this concept as a terrestrial pattern, thinking, perhaps, those deer flies orbiting our heads while we try to fish, waiting for a lapse in our attention, may actually be good bait. Wanting a bit more mass than achieved with silk, I opted for UNI spooled yarn for this one. To effect a more downwing profile, I lashed the hackle to angle back. Might be a good searching patt for fishing the water in high summer, when water-born insect hatches have diminished.

Thanks for the interesting creative connections, Bill.

Deer Fly

Hook: #10 Daiichi 1480 (or choice)
Thread: Rust-brown UNI 8/0
Hackle: English grouse
Body: Orange & Gray UNI yarn wound forward together
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Deer Fly

Post by letumgo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:12 am

Sweet! Love the segmented body. And the hackle/herl head too. Oh, and the hook. :D

EDIT - Adding photo of a deer fly for reference

I saw this on Amazon - A sticky landing strip for you hat, as a way of capturing pesky deer flies.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:28 am

Thanks Ray. Can't wait to try this one.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:58 am

Well conceived, beautifully tied and photographed.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:38 am

tie2fish wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:58 am Well conceived, beautifully tied and photographed.
I agree to this and look forward to reports from action.

dd
ronr

Post by ronr » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:57 pm

Steve, I received your book this week and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I wish I had known better and ordered it directly from you, rather than through Amazon... but I do have a hardback signed copy that was one of 1000 printed according to the title page. I especially appreciate the pictures of your neighborhood and the beautiful watercolor illustrations. I must be one of those lovers of "children's books" as your wife described your manuscript, I'm sure with tongue in cheek, because I haven't been able to put it down.

Since the fly in this post is about those annoying insects we encounter, it made me think of your yellow jacket fly and your story in the book of its unfortunate inspiration. Each fall, the Metolius down here in Oregon has its share of the nasty little buggers, and I plan to tie up a few of your yellow jackets and give them a go.
As a newcomer to the Pacific Northwest, I've lots to learn about its history and fisheries. Your stories have provided some great insights into your part of the world. The UC is certainly a unique fishery and appreciate you sharing your experiences with us all.

I hope to someday see that part of Washington and that Kuk's is still there so that I might buy you a beer.
REE04419

Post by REE04419 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:41 am

Beautifully dressed fly. During summer Maine has an abundance of deer flies. I will be tying a few of these to take to our local streams. Well done.
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:25 pm

That ain't too ugly.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:42 pm

The fuzzy body might attract some bubbles...

dd
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:48 pm

swellcat wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:25 pm That ain't too ugly.
* chuckle *

swellcat - you are a master of understatement (wink/smile)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean