Clark's Spinning Block vs The Dubber

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

swellcat

Re: Clark's Spinning Block vs The Dubber

Post by swellcat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:38 pm

Amazing, anticipatory progression. I was going to suggest Osage Orange as the runner up (or co-winner) for Official Spinning-Block Wood of Texas. It's the only wood I know denser than mesquite: it is HEAVY and was used by American Indians for war clubs, in addition to bows, as referenced by the French name, bois d'arc, bow wood. Freshly-exposed heartwood is bright yellow, but it moves markedly to brown.

The color in Osage Orange is water-soluble and can thus be used as a dye.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:59 pm

Another good wood might be persimmon. It's in the ebony family and use to be used for golf clubs.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:07 pm

I do look forward to see all those blocks!

dd
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:33 pm

One of the rarest woods is bog oak.

http://www.antiquesage.com/bog-oak-rarest-wood-world/
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:18 pm

What about Manzanita, or iron wood? I have plenty that’s dry after the fire that swept through here?
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:21 pm

Barry, I'm not familiar with your ironwood. Here in Michigan we have 2 species that are commonly called ironwood. One genius is Carpinus..common name "Hornbeam" . The eaves are similar to a beech, and the other genius is Ostrya...common name "Hop Hornbeam. The hop hornbeam flowers look like hop flowers. Both have very dense wood. Not sure if that's what you have out there. If the wood is as dense as ours , I would bet that the grain is very tight and would make a cool block.

Dave
Attachments
Hornbeam leaf
Hornbeam leaf
Hornbeam-leaf.jpg (28.12 KiB) Viewed 23427 times
Eastern hophornbeam
Eastern hophornbeam
ostvirls.jpg (37.72 KiB) Viewed 23427 times
Eastern hop hornbeam
Eastern hop hornbeam
eastern-hophornbeam.jpg (77.32 KiB) Viewed 23427 times
American hornbeam
American hornbeam
american-hornbeam.jpg (61.26 KiB) Viewed 23427 times
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:20 pm

I haven't made many blocks in the past couple years and I'm out of finished blocks besides a couple that I owe people. I am working on them. I just found a couple pics I took when I was doing more of the exotic woods and thought I would share them. The blocks are essentially an expression of the American craftsmanship that devised the flymph in the first place, exquisite in it's modesty and function, so making these from exotics always felt a little inappropriate, but then we all love pretty things and these little blocks of wood, lacking in decoration are susceptible to immodest materials. :lol: :lol:

One of the nicest blocks I ever made was from a small piece of cocobolo. I made this one for Eric a few years ago. It's a very dark wood, extremely dense and twice as heavy as all the other species I fooled with. It's very cool in person and doesn't require a strip with such a dark surface.

IMG_0347.jpeg
IMG_0347.jpeg (440.18 KiB) Viewed 23421 times
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:21 pm

IMG_0630.jpeg
IMG_0630.jpeg (406.53 KiB) Viewed 23421 times
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:42 pm

Manzanita is called Iron Wood literally because of its very high Iron content. It’s very dense and close grained. I would be happy to send you a chunk if you want. Let me know the minimum size you can deal with.
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:56 pm

William Anderson wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:20 pm I haven't made many blocks in the past couple years and I'm out of finished blocks besides a couple that I owe people. I am working on them. I just found a couple pics I took when I was doing more of the exotic woods and thought I would share them...
William,
That's a magnificent photo! Block No. MG 013 got a little teary eyed when I showed it to her.

Many thanks for continuing the traditions of Dick Clark and his spinning blocks in such a beautiful and functional way.

PhilA