Upstream Wet Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mike62

Re: Upstream Wet Fly

Post by Mike62 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:50 pm

letumgo wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:56 pm Mike62 - I posted a tutorial showing how to switch the retrieve on a Pfluger reel. Not sure if it will work on yours, but it might be worth looking at the tutorial to see if the internal geometry is similar.

LINK TO TUTORIAL ---> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7632
I already checked your tutorial on that subject awhile ago. Very nicely done like all of your tutorials! (I've gone through every one of them...) Unfortunately it doesn't work with the Progress as far as my limited thinking takes me. It looks like the Progress was made as simplistic as possible and to appeal to what was/is probably the majority hand when it comes to reeling up.
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:41 pm

Phil,

Over the years I've compared my Perfectionist with several others and I'm pretty satisfied that it's Bob's writing. I could be wrong. I know Bob a little and have visited his shop several times. Maybe when I'm in MI in May I'll take it along and see what he says. It's a nice rod no matter who built it and it's been with me for a long time. Per, who likes PHY rods says it's as nice a Perfectionist as he's ever cast. I bought it in the old T&T shop in Turners Falls, MA in 1987. It was part of a consignment of rods they had just gotten in but hadn't cataloged yet. When I asked the price they called the consignor and he said he needed $625 for it! Bought it on the spot! There was also a nice little Midge in the batch.
I've always wanted a Para 15, or better yet a Para 14, but have never come across one that was both in good shape and reasonably priced. And of the ones I've cast some are magic and some are real dogs.
JohnMD1022

Post by JohnMD1022 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:51 pm

Some Ollie Edwards:

"One of those harmless misfits you see in fishing who do no appreciable damage to the world at large and in the end have only cost themselves the normal life that they never wanted anyway."
No Shortage of Good Days by John Gierach
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:57 am

What is this "reel" of which you all speak?

Watching Oliver Edwards DVD, I couldn't help thinking it would have been so much easier with a tenkara rod (or a loop rod and horsehair line for the traditionalists).
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:13 pm

I enjoy Olivers videos very much and really can't get enough of them. It's his style of fishing I grew up on and have proven to myself many times that fishing downstream I will lose more fish.
I'll cast directly upstream at times depending on the situation, but at times will also cast up and slightly to the side. And I'll do this with pretty much any type of fly too. Like Oliver said, cast upstream, you do the fishing, and besides, it's more fun that way.

Casting down and allowing the fly to swing doesn't seem right to me at all, and I'm not judging anyone who enjoys fishing like that, but to me casting up stream there's more of a connection between the fly and I. Then if granted, it's the fish and I.

Does anyone know if Oliver Edwards is still around?
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:39 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:51 pm Smuggler, the Firehole is absolutely magical, as is all YNP. I love it in the Fall. For got to change the manual settings on my camera before shooting this, but you can see the dancing White Miller caddis. Trout were leaping in the air.

John
for those of you who are White Miller fans, try the Lackawaxen River in north east Pennsylvania, at the end of August.... it is like a snowstorm !!

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:32 pm

My biggest salmon out of the Fish river came on a White Miller; just a smidge under 6lb.

...after I dunked it and then turned around and fished it downstream on the swing.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:21 pm

:lol: :D ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:58 am

:roll: :roll:
Soft and wet - the only way....
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:11 am

ForumGhillie wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:42 pm

Of course, you Easterners have milder snowstorms than we do. :)

...Said by a mid-westerner who never had his butt buried by a N'easter, lol.

bb