Scotch tied hackle SBS

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Theroe

Scotch tied hackle SBS

Post by Theroe » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:38 am

Originally shown to me by Ivan Willard in the 1980's, this method of hackling a fly is one of the very best in my arsenal.

THE most important rule in dressing flies(or most anything else in life) is this: "the impression left from your first movement dictates the success of the following step."
The act of tying a fly is a journey - either you triumph at the end, and marvel at your beautiful specimen, or bring out the razor...

This method can be used myriad ways, for just about any pattern, but for this exercise, have a fly completed up to the point where you would "hackle it". DO BE SURE to have a neat, tapered base to lay your hackle barbs upon - this is key. There are other variations, but for now we will stick to the basic method.

Step one: Find some long, flecked feathers, usually at the bottom end of a cape.....the ones you could tie a size 4 or 6 dry fly with(but usually do not), or use for tailing. Fold the hackle & straighten the barbs.
Step Two: Pluck off a dozen or so barbs, keeping the tips even. Trim the curly ends that were attached to the rachis.
Step Three: Lay this bunch of barbs on top of your gradually tapered base. Secure with the pinch loop, and two loose wraps. key to this technique is the same as every other if tying(or life for that matter): you MUST have a proper foundation for the hackle to behave in the manner you seek. You're finished product may require flared or flat barbs - either way, the base (and thread tension, to some extent) determines said barbules final position.... but its 90% base shape and angle.

That being said, I find silk to be the best thread for this application. I use silk: Belding, Lions Head, Reed Tackle, Pearsalls, Gudebrod - any will work, and work better than man made fibers..
Another key component is the hackle you choose: select long, limber, translucent feathers with sparkle. Early Darbee duns have this rare characteristic, which has been lauded by Atherton, Jennings and others from the golden age.
Once you get the feel, and master the basic Scotch tie, you WILL see this opens up a world of possibilities for those long hackles that previously were relegated to streamers or tailing material. Try this: make a steeper taper on your base, leaving a single space thread "groove" at the top of your taper - proceed as normal, approaching the "groove" with normal wraps. However the wrap directly over the "groove" should be pulled tight: this will flare the barbs outward, giving the appearance on a wrapped feather....but it is much more durable!
This is my first SBS, and I am clearly not the best at this....your comments are welcomed!
Dana
Attachments
m%2GR1z1SZi6X7A6rMb2Kw.jpg
m%2GR1z1SZi6X7A6rMb2Kw.jpg (278.77 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
fullsizeoutput_7aa.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_7aa.jpeg (269.56 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
Condor Quill Gordon emerger
Condor Quill Gordon emerger
fullsizeoutput_79c.jpeg (442.87 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
Olive Quill, Daiichi 1710, Darbee dun
Olive Quill, Daiichi 1710, Darbee dun
fullsizeoutput_94b.jpeg (306.13 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
Soft and wet - the only way....
tie2fish

Re: Scotch tied hackle SBS

Post by tie2fish » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:38 am

Dana ~ Do you use only thread tension to distribute the hackle barbs equally around the hook?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:20 am

Bill
No: I use my thumbnail to slide all of the barbs around. - Sometimes I leave them on top, sometimes I spread them around, depending on the pattern.
Dana
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:45 am

Note how the hackle angle matches the slant of my thread base........

sorry about the multiple posts, i didn't realize only so many photos could be posted at one time.... I wondered why some appeared to go missing !!
Attachments
base angle
base angle
dt7cDUIwTs2OKyYqTCc4rg.jpg (207.74 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
spread the barbs..
spread the barbs..
1tRETZrESiW+0v7rAPiVUg.jpg (223.9 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
tight wraps
tight wraps
%tFk0SN7R1CZHDEMu1qv6A.jpg (280.51 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:08 am

That clears up a couple of points. Thanks, Dana -- great job.

BTW, you don't have to start a whole new post to add photos ... click on the "edit" icon (little pencil) and tack them on below the existing ones before re-submitting.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:30 pm

Many Thanks Mr. Bill - i can always count on you for sage advice!!
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:01 pm

Dana,

Thank you for taking the time to pull together this tutorial. Extremely helpful. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:43 pm

Dana, thanks for the SBS it’s truly the Dogs Bollocks of the Scotch method of Hackling.
Thanks again
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Thanks for taking the time to put this together Dana, very cool. :D
The technique is very similar to the way the Spanish tie their traditional wet flies and caddis with Pardo/CDL...
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:32 pm

fly_fischa wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:56 pm Thanks for taking the time to put this together Dana, very cool. :D
The technique is very similar to the way the Spanish tie their traditional wet flies and caddis with Pardo/CDL...
Yes, Dana's flies look Spanish to me. That is a compliment.

dd