Scotch tied hackle SBS

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

redsedge

Re: Scotch tied hackle SBS

Post by redsedge » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Thank you, Dana. Very interesting and informative - I now understand what you meant by leaving a groove with which to flare the fibers out more.
Cheers.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:37 am

Excellent Dana. I've been wanting to see this for a long time. For most of us, the special Darbee hackle you use is not easy to come by. I have tied Spanish wets for quite some time in much of the same manner but you have added those little trinkets of wisdom to perfect the methods. Have you tried tying with the Coq de Leon fibers? Wondering how they compare. They have the features you list but may be a little too stiff? I don't know.

Thanks again Dana for taking time from your busy schedule to do this.

When is the body building tutorial being published? :D
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:53 pm

Carl - I am also pestering Dana on writing a tutorial detailing his leader set-up. I am hoping to do some documentary photos, during the Fly Fest visit next month. (Dana - consider yourself warned) :twisted: :lol: ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:45 pm

Old Hat wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:37 am Excellent Dana. I've been wanting to see this for a long time. For most of us, the special Darbee hackle you use is not easy to come by. I have tied Spanish wets for quite some time in much of the same manner but you have added those little trinkets of wisdom to perfect the methods. Have you tried tying with the Coq de Leon fibers? Wondering how they compare. They have the features you list but may be a little too stiff? I don't know.

Thanks again Dana for taking time from your busy schedule to do this.

When is the body building tutorial being published? :D
Carl - yes, CDL is a bit too stiff. One of the key traits of Darbee hackle is the barbule diameter and limberness. I WISH I had the time and more importantly, the skills most of you guys do, to post detailed SBS topics: Some of you(Ray, William, Bill, Carl et al) put up MASTERPIECES for all of us to learn from and enjoy.
This board is GREAT(and addicting) :D

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:46 pm

letumgo wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:53 pm Carl - I am also pestering Dana on writing a tutorial detailing his leader set-up. I am hoping to do some documentary photos, during the Fly Fest visit next month. (Dana - consider yourself warned) :twisted: :lol: ;)
IN !!
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Thanks, Dana!--All this time I've been trying to get the hackle to fold over and behave--but couldn't get the hackle folded back far enough--. Now I realize you're discarding the rachis, which makes things a lot more clear. I agree, the foundation is critical (it is also critical to making a good Haystack).

Thanks again!

bb
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:30 am

Thank you, Dana. The steps I invented in my mind while mentally untying one of your flies has now been thoroughly debunked. Thankfully.

The knowledge that flows through this place is ridiculous. Thanks to all for sharing.

...as to BB's statement that foundations are critical for a good and proper Haystack, NOW I get it.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:54 am

bearbutt wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:01 pm Thanks, Dana!--All this time I've been trying to get the hackle to fold over and behave--but couldn't get the hackle folded back far enough--. Now I realize you're discarding the rachis, which makes things a lot more clear. I agree, the foundation is critical (it is also critical to making a good Haystack).

Thanks again!

bb
Joe - you bring up a good point: folding the hackle prior to plucking off a bunch of barbules results in a better group to tie with......by adding that step!

Dana
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:13 am

This tread perfectly illustrates the benefits of the detailed tutorials. I am always amazed by what we learn from each other. Even experienced tiers benefit from seeing how flies are constructed.

Thanks you for teaching this old dog (me) new tricks. ;) :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:44 pm

Junior Tucker is neither old nor dog but can always benefit from a lesson. 8-)
As we all can.

dd