gingerdun

Re: Phil Anderson's magic

Post by gingerdun » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:58 am

Wonderful thread, wonderful images!
Thank you.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:23 am

letumgo wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:31 am Best. Post. Ever.

Gotta collect them all, is right. Those cards are an absolutely brilliant idea. (Phil - Do you sell those? I’m definitely interested! If you do.)

That dyed partridge is so beautiful. Buying two was a great idea.

Thank you very much for sharing these pictures. What a great event.

PS - the gossip cracked me up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D ;)
And a BIG ONE ++
Those trading cards are absolutely fantastic-who wouldn’t want them?
Soft and wet - the only way....
swellcat

Re: Phil Anderson's majic

Post by swellcat » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:19 pm

I am already plotting my secret pattern for next Badger Spring Opener.

Maybe make it a little more challenging on them — woolly bugger?
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:28 pm

I am fascinated by that Neversink Skater. If
Bearbutt (Joe G) tied it my compliments it is gorgeous.

Tom ;)
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:29 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:14 pm BTW, I am already plotting my secret pattern for next Badger Spring Opener.
Uh-oh. I inadvertently threw down the gauntlet concerning "Name That Fly". We're probably in for trouble next year. Something very, very obscure.

ForumGhillie wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:14 pm If the cards are signed by PhilA the values go up dramatically!! ;)
Remember, ten times zero is still zero.

It appears that other admirers of Datus Proper frequent here, so I'll add my remaining photos of his fly tying travel kit...

The leather "Common Sense" fly book in remarkably good condition:

More dubbings. Note the Hendrickson, Green Drake, and (my personal favorite) Skues' Sherry Spinner, a dubbing just waiting for some Gossamer color No.6B. My guess is that "L.D.O." dubbing is for the "Large Dark Olive" of spring, which is another Skues fly.

Another page of feathers, including half of a medium dun hen cape:

Hairs, I presume for wings:

Flies. I count at least 5 flies and 2 (maybe 3) leaders. Thus, they appear to be rigged as casts of two or three. I should have looked under the flap, but I was befuddled with disbelief of what I was holding.
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:34 pm

upstatetrout wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:28 pm I am fascinated by that Neversink Skater. If
Tom ;)
Tom,
My understanding is that the Bivisible Skater Joe is about to kiss in that photo was tied by Hewitt. However, Joe tied the box of four Skaters. I think he searched the world over for spade hackle with long enough feather barbs. Joe, correct me if I'm wrong.

Phil
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:02 pm

PhilA wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:34 pm
upstatetrout wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:28 pm I am fascinated by that Neversink Skater. If
Tom ;)
Tom,
My understanding is that the Bivisible Skater Joe is about to kiss in that photo was tied by Hewitt. However, Joe tied the box of four Skaters. I think he searched the world over for spade hackle with long enough feather barbs. Joe, correct me if I'm wrong.

Phil
I'm a bit swamped now--a big day of teaching ahead of me tomorrow--but to clarify: the Bivisible Skater I am holding in the photo and the one with the typed toetag both have provenance leading back to Hewitt. The one with the toetag came from Helen Shaw's collection. The box with four Skaters I tied. However, as we all know, Hewitt didn't really tie his Skaters, and depended on Harry Darbee to tie them for him--as only Darbee had the right hackle. The best hackle for the purpose, in my experience, is spade hackle from an old rooster. It's the only way you can get 2+ inches across and the requisite stiffness. Coq de Leon is much too soft, in my opinion.

On the Sparse Grey Matter boards there is a good discussion about tying Skaters, and many more photos--which you can find here: https://www.sparsegreymatter.com/viewto ... 1&start=40.

I'll share more information about the Datus Proper stuff later in the week. One of these days, God and Allah willing, I am going to retire like Phil.

bb
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:11 pm

I can't help but think that this Datus Proper fly tying kit in the future will stir the same kind of interest that Selwyn Marryat's Portmanteu did. When I read his book for the first time several years ago I tried to envision what it looked like. I feel privileged to see it now, almost can't get enough of it. I bought a Common Sense kit for my friend when he turned fifty. Unfortunately no pigskin on that one. He was very practical and removed the Dewitt box and just carried that. I did my best not to show any disappointment :cry:

dd
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:52 am

cool looking flies!!!

Tom
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"