Birdnest from Doug

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: Birdnest from Doug

Post by Old Hat » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:16 am

John, I think this link will take you to patterns tied by Cal Bird.

The true original dressing from what I have gathered over a lot of researching and talking with tiers at the shows is Australian opossum 50%, hare's mask 40% and natural baby seal 10%. Cal also seemed to like teal for the tail and wing because of the distinct barring. Which he dyed to a reddish brown color. I have heard from a couple sources that he used Maple Sugar RIT dye but his could be people regurgitating the same source.
Cal's Birdnest Hackle.jpg
Cal's Birdnest Hackle.jpg (87.93 KiB) Viewed 15175 times
This is the Bird's Nest I photographed at John Shaner's place when he graciously invited us over for an afternoon of drooling.
reduxIMG_0250.JPG
reduxIMG_0250.JPG (116.69 KiB) Viewed 15175 times
These are supposedly Cal Bird originals photographed from a few collections.
https://montana-riverboats.com/?robopag ... DiwkRDY9Io
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:18 pm

I’ve seen some orginal Byrd’s Nests as tied by him and I recon the Fly Shops pattern as supplied by Umpqua is just about identical. They used Paxton’s Buggy Nymph as dubbing and they are not tied with lots of it as shown at the beginning of this thread. I’ve used them for twenty odd years and they still work for me. I now tie my own because I don’t like the cheap hooks the commercial tiers use. There’s nothing more frustrating then having a slow day and to lose a nice fish because of a broken hook, believe me I know. But remember it’s not the fly but where you put it.
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:25 pm

John, I guided the Truckee whilst mr Byrd was around. I used 14’s and 16’s. Back then the the Truckee fly shop sold his flies much the same as the more lightly dressed Fly Shop Pattern. But I don’t think how heavily it’s dressed matters much at all.
B
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:01 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:34 pm
Bazzer69 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:25 pm John, I guided the Truckee whilst mr Byrd was around. I used 14’s and 16’s. Back then the the Truckee fly shop sold his flies much the same as the more lightly dressed Fly Shop Pattern. But I don’t think how heavily it’s dressed matters much at all.
B
Barry,

Great feedback, thank you.

It is just difficult as I look across the web to really understnad what Cal designed the Birdnest fly for. There are so many variations, it is crazy. I always like to know, if possible, what the originator of a pattern created the fly pattern to imitate.

Thanks again!
John, I forget to mention there are plenty of large Caddis flies on the Truckee River. I never spoke with Carl Byrd but I think Andy Burk might have. You’ve got my interest on this one so when I can get hold of Andy I’ll see what he’s has to say
But indeed it seems to be just as popular as the humble PT.
swellcat

Re: Spectral Dubbing

Post by swellcat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:06 am

That turned out nice. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:28 am

First off, apologies to Doug. This thread has gone significantly off course from his beautifully tied Bird's Nest. But, it only goes to show his tying can be inspiring to others.

Just for fun. Kind of. Here is the shrimp version. Haha. Threw on some PB feelers, mono eyes and did a custom dubbing of 50% Aussie opossum, 40% hare mask dyed orange and 10% natural seal. The hackle is mallard dyed a pale pink with beet juice (another gift from our long lost friend Jeff).
reduxBird's Nest Shrimp.jpg
reduxBird's Nest Shrimp.jpg (228.2 KiB) Viewed 15105 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:48 am

IMO what it represents is how you tie it and what it creates for an impression.
ImageIMGP5849 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

I tied this for a tan/ginger caddis that I have encountered on many western waters. I think it could also be a suitable dragonfly nymph or even possibly a minnow. The impression it makes on a fish will depend on presentation but I believe it hits many of the triggers for movement, translucency and general imitation or the mimicry Pete described as a quality in the style of flymph dressing.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:04 pm

Roadkill wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:48 am IMO what it represents is how you tie it and what it creates for an impression.
ImageIMGP5849 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

I tied this for a tan/ginger caddis that I have encountered on many western waters. I think it could also be a suitable dragonfly nymph or even possibly a minnow. The impression it makes on a fish will depend on presentation but I believe it hits many of the triggers for movement, translucency and general imitation or the mimicry Pete described as a quality in the style of flymph dressing.
Totally agree, I have always fished mine as mayfly nymphs. But I tie them a bit thinner, and I only put the hackle out the sides, not in the 'round. I love any pattern that has so much versatility. That is why I am so attracted to flymphs and other soft hackles designs. I've also tied them as #8 stonefly nymphs for steelhead and trout with good returns.
paparex

Post by paparex » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:05 pm

I need to slow my reading down. I read “beetlejuice” instead of “beet juice.” I was wondering what dark magic was needed to tie the shrimp.
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Carl, oh my yes. Exactly what I was thinking !glad to know someone with whom I can redfish vicariously. No doubt the reds will eat that in the shallows.