Green Caddis Soft Hackle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mike62

Re: Green Caddis Soft Hackle

Post by Mike62 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:38 am

Looking at the diagram that Phil posted ...If I stuck an awl into the dinning room table, even for this worthwhile educational purpose, I would be taking my meals in the barn shortly thereafter.

I love the fly that FFM has posted; elegant and deadly.
ronr

Post by ronr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:20 am

the ability of this group to research any topic related to tying flies is amazing.... PhilA great job to find the source of split thread technique...This add so much to the forum.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:26 am

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:06 pm When I tie then on a scud hook, I miss way too many strikes, especially when the fly is hanging directly downstream. Any one have any tips for improving your hooking percentage on those downstream strikes?

Tight Lines- Ken
Ken, when I fish downstream (dangling or swinging), no matter the hook, I always keep a loop of line in my non-casting hand. You can feel strikes instantly, and Instead of setting the hook with the rod, let the loop slide out through your hand giving a little slack to the line on the take and then tug the line to set the hook. That's works best for me anyway. I don't particularly like the scud style hooks and prefer a softer bend hook in the shape of the 200R. There is not much give in the system when everything is under the pressure of the current. Strikes are usually a little harder in this situation and without slack in the line the hooks get yanked out before they have a chance to be taken in the fish's mouth. The little bit of slack and the hand set soften the initial take and increase the chance the hook gets into the mouth and is able to set on the way out.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:14 am

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:16 pm Barry,

I'm sorry it has taken me awhile to get back to this post. Here is a sample of the fly I mentioned (locally called the Green Butt), and similar to what Bob posted. In the past, I've tied these on scud style hooks; however, I'm now trying this wet/nymph hook. I hope it will improve my hooking percentage, especially when the fly is hanging straight downstream (at the end of the drift).

017.JPG

Hook: Wet/nymph (size 14 1XL)
Thread: UNI 8/0 (black or olive)
Tag/Rib: Ultra wire - small (chartreuse)
Body: Peacock (2 strands)
Wound forward together, pushing thread forward as you go
Hackle: Partridge (2 turns)

Tight Lines- Ken
Kirbed or reversed (offset point) hooks are THE ticket. I don’t know why so many guys shy away from them, but your hook up ratio will significantly improve using them. Let me know if you would like pictures or samples!
Soft and wet - the only way....
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:48 am

Theroe wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:14 am
FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:16 pm Barry,

I'm sorry it has taken me awhile to get back to this post. Here is a sample of the fly I mentioned (locally called the Green Butt), and similar to what Bob posted. In the past, I've tied these on scud style hooks; however, I'm now trying this wet/nymph hook. I hope it will improve my hooking percentage, especially when the fly is hanging straight downstream (at the end of the drift).

017.JPG

Hook: Wet/nymph (size 14 1XL)
Thread: UNI 8/0 (black or olive)
Tag/Rib: Ultra wire - small (chartreuse)
Body: Peacock (2 strands)
Wound forward together, pushing thread forward as you go
Hackle: Partridge (2 turns)

Tight Lines- Ken
Kirbed or reversed (offset point) hooks are THE ticket. I don’t know why so many guys shy away from them, but your hook up ratio will significantly improve using them. Let me know if you would like pictures or samples!
Those Sealey's I found this winter are offset, significantly so. I've got a bunch of flies tied on them and using Carl's technique of a small loop in my line hand (what a good idea) I'm excited about the coming thaw, may it be here by July.
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Carl,

I appreciate the tip using the loop of line to create some slack. I will certainly try it.

Thanks- Ken

Theroe,

I'm completely unaware of Kirbed or reversed (offset point) hooks. It would be great if you post a picture. Perhaps you could also list your source for obtaining these hooks.

Thanks- Ken
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:04 pm

Carl... I have also been trying to find ways to improve my grab to hook up ratio. I've tried strip setting, no set, etc etc.. every article I read has a different opinion. The only opinion I find totally ineffective is the do nothing set... which only seems to work when my fly is in the dangle and i've been distracted by something on the bank, or I'm just not paying attention... then sometimes the fish hooks himself...

The idea of allowing some portion of the non-casting hand loop to slip and then setting seems to require a level of dexterity that I may not possess... do you strip set after letting the line slip, or raise the rod tip, or sweep the rod tip toward the bank?