button hole twist

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Tom Smithwick

Re: button hole twist

Post by Tom Smithwick » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:03 pm

Hi Ron - If it is the rusty orange it appears to be, I think I have a spool of the stuff, also some bright orange. Send me a PM with your address, and I will send you a couple samples. If one of them does match, I will send you the spool. I likely haven't used the stuff in 20 years. I have had good fishing with the olive and red serendipities, however. Probably just me...
NedZeppelin

Post by NedZeppelin » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:13 pm

So, is there any consensus on a particular brand, size and starter set of colors for a selection of buttonhole twist to serve the needs of this newbie flymph tier? If not, I will continue the journey, just thought this august body might have some recommendations to pass on.
dj1212

Post by dj1212 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:34 pm

If you're not dead set on silk you might try DMC embroidery floss. It comes in many colors and is not that expensive. Also easy to seperate into smaller strands. Just a suggestion.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:24 am

Embroidery Floss would be good. Also rod winding thread.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:26 pm

this fly continues to produce for me.I've finally given up trying to get it just like the commercial one, and tying it with a variety of orange threads. Getting the segmentation right is the hard part, but the color of the threads Im using seems to produce just fine. Getting the size 18 hackle right is the really hardest part.
NedZeppelin

Post by NedZeppelin » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:34 am

Thanks, I have a full selection of DMC embroidery thread thanks to Midge Magic, a cool book.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Mi ... ead_button
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:57 pm

Tom Smithwick wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:48 pm floss.jpeg
Hi Ronr
The top spool is Pearsalls, the others are Belding Corticelli. None of them are all that easy to separate without getting a bunch of fuzz. I would also be inclined to find some #50 or #60 thread. Just curious though, are you sure the commercial fly is silk? the body of the fly does look a lot like the body of a serendipity pattern which was popular a while back. They were tied with Antron yarn, which could be separated into smaller bunches pretty easily for smaller flies.
Tom

No doubt you're aware that YLI makes both YLI 100 and YLI 50 silks in mucho colors...just a reminder.

Bob
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:54 am

ronr wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:40 am I've been trying to work out the body material on a commercial soft hackle. I've identified the color, but can't find the thread. It is a silk, its not gossamer pearsall's, it appeared to be button hole twist. I took a chance and ordered some button hole twist silk from Superior threads, but it was too large diameter...
Question is: are there button hole twists of various diameters? Who makes them, and who has colors similar to Pearsall's?

The image is the commercial fly..size 18...
That looks too big to be buttonhole twist -maybe it is Naples? I will check tonight, I have a couple of colors very close to that, which look similar if my memory is correct.
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....