Gartside's Sparrow

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Ron Eagle Elk

Gartside's Sparrow

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed May 08, 2019 8:52 am

Just a test. Gartside Sparrow. Mustad 3906B size 12, black thread, tail is pheasant marabou feather, abdomen is olive hare's dubbin, pheasant church window feather for hackle and the head is the aftershaft feather from the marabou feather. Brook trout slammed it yesterday.
Attachments
DSCN1959.JPG
DSCN1959.JPG (258.16 KiB) Viewed 4868 times
Last edited by Ron Eagle Elk on Wed May 08, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Test

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu May 09, 2019 7:39 am

I see one now, you guys?
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
upstatetrout

Re: Gartside's Sparrow

Post by upstatetrout » Thu May 09, 2019 7:50 am

You got it!

Tom
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu May 09, 2019 8:49 am

REE, Howdy;

:D , Yup, great big fluffy lookin' fly ... that bird will sing for your supper for ya. ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu May 09, 2019 10:18 am

Lovely fly and great photo!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu May 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Oh man, that is a gorgeous fly Ron!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu May 09, 2019 5:18 pm

Worth the wait.

dd
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri May 10, 2019 7:26 am

Thanks for the kind words. I learned to tie this fly from the originator of the fly, Jack Gartside. I was new to the demo tying gig at fly fishing shows, maybe my second or third show. They put the newer guys at the back wall near the exit doors. I showed up for my three hour shift and found I was seated next to Jack. I was a bit star struck. He liked to be near the exit doors so he could run out for a smoke, which he did often. When he wasn't tying a demo fly or smoking, he showed me a few of his flies. He even directed people to me, telling them I really knew my stuff about wet flies. I learned a few flies from the originator and got a confidence boost in the bargain.
swellcat

Re: Gartside Narrative

Post by swellcat » Fri May 10, 2019 8:32 am

I learned to tie this fly from the originator of the fly, Jack Gartside. I was new to the demo tying gig at fly fishing shows, maybe my second or third show. They put the newer guys at the back wall near the exit doors. I showed up for my three hour shift and found I was seated next to Jack. I was a bit star struck. He liked to be near the exit doors so he could run out for a smoke, which he did often. When he wasn't tying a demo fly or smoking, he showed me a few of his flies. He even directed people to me, telling them I really knew my stuff about wet flies. I learned a few flies from the originator and got a confidence boost in the bargain.

What a great story. Jack's willingness to share the limelight suggests class and generosity of spirit.
bearbutt

Re: Gartside

Post by bearbutt » Fri May 10, 2019 8:49 am

Really nice story. Jack was the real thing--down to earth, scrappy, always making do. And doing things his own way. His catalogues are great documents in the history of fly design--. And his flies are totally consistent (reminds me of Ed Haas in a way). Here's a box of Sparrows Jack tied:

bb