Gartside's Sparrow

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

wsbailey

Re: Gartside's Sparrow

Post by wsbailey » Fri May 10, 2019 11:29 am

I met Jack a time or two. He was as practical as he was creative.

https://www.jackgartside.com/art_pheasant_feathers.htm
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Fri May 10, 2019 2:46 pm

Nice lookin' fly, Ron. (and story of how you learned this pattern)
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:23 pm

When I was much younger I wanted to be Jack Gartside.

I love Gartside's Sparrow, it's been a great pattern for me.
tjd

Post by tjd » Sat May 11, 2019 5:39 am

Ron,

Thanks for posting the photo your very well-tied Sparrow, and story about Jack. I got to meet him in 1991 when I was stationed in South Weymouth, MA. I also learned how to tie the pattern from him, and it has been a favorite, go to fly for many years. The United Fly Tyer meetings, running into him at Stoddards, and the tying demonstrations at Orvis Boston were always well attended and very informative.
We had some pretty interesting fishing adventures...from kettle pond trout, night fishing for stripers, to trout fishing in Montana. Jack was a good friend, and it is hard to believe that he has been gone 10 years this December. I miss him.

Best,

Tim
tjd

Post by tjd » Sat May 11, 2019 6:47 am

Hi John,

I was gifted a "step by step" frame that Jack did for the Sparrow.
Maybe next time Ray visits he can photograph it for us.

There are several You Tube videos on line, Hans Weilenmann did one of the best I've seen for tying the Sparrow.

I'll put up the original dressing later today.

Best,

Tim
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat May 11, 2019 8:09 am

I envy those of you who got to know Jack so well. I only had the chance to meet him that one time, and it was well worth it. The day I met him, he was tying with marabou. Being near the doors, every time someone opened the doors a breeze would come in. By the time our shift was over, both of our tying areas and ourselves were covered with marabou scraps.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat May 11, 2019 8:36 am

The link I posted has Jack’s description of the Sparrow.
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat May 11, 2019 11:02 am

REE I understand the show jitters...my first shift in Albany, I was next to Jim Schollmeyer.....I was too timid to chat...
tjd

Post by tjd » Sat May 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Well done, Mr. Bailey...you read my mind!

There is also a hyper link in the text for fishing the Sparrow-which is very helpful.

Jack always snapped the tips off the pheasant "aftershaft" or "philoplume" feathers, so that they wouldn't break and unwind while making the head. He also used an "E-Z Mini Hook", or electronic test clip to hold the material, which is very fragile. I always dampened my fingers and used my fingers to wrap the feather, allowing it to slide out as I wrapped. Regardless, they are a very delicate material, and tying with them takes a bit of practice.

Prominent "shoulders" on the fly allow the pheasant hackle to stand out from the body, giving the fly great movement.

Wrap the feather right to the hook eye, and do not tie a prominent thread head. Just a couple of turns of thread, whip finish, and you are done.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat May 11, 2019 7:57 pm

I've started wrapping the aftershaft feathers around the tying thread before wrapping. I still snap off to tips, but I get a pretty durable fly that way.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"