Golden Pheasant Crests

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

swellcat

Re: Alvin Theriault

Post by swellcat » Sat May 11, 2019 10:54 am

Bazzer69

Re: Golden Pheasant Crests

Post by Bazzer69 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:47 am

Why would I want to buy flies “Flavored “ with scents?
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:00 pm

I ended up buying “select” from aofeathers. Aaron has sent me pretty good quality feathers in the past. It seems that pretty much everyone else sells Hareline or direct from China. I’m hoping that he at least high grades his.
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:22 pm

Bazzer69 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:47 am Why would I want to buy flies “Flavored “ with scents?
Looking for an edge. We never bought scented flies but we did try the whole 'scent' thing as kids.

When I was younger we used to liquify Power Bait in old pill containers. We'd soak our ice fishing jigs in it thinking it would give us that edge; the jigs had deer hair bodies over lead. We figured the deer hair would hold the Power Bait scent. When that didn't seem to do much we started to liquify earth worms and soaked our jigs in 'worm juice'. We used to use stinky dead bait to catch Cusk so we thought the same process would work on Salmon.

The worm thing took dedication. You had to dig the worms in the summer and then freeze them for use in the winter. We'd mash the worms up in a pail using a brick and then spoon the effluent into a jar which we would then try to hide at the bottom of the old chest freezer out on the porch; we didn't want mom finding them.

...you asked.