Saber Hooks?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Trifly

Re: Saber Hooks?

Post by Trifly » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:00 am

I am in the Wholesale Fly Company camp as well. I have started replacing my now discontinued Dai-Riki stock with them.

I will not buy hooks by the 25. The more popular brands sold that way are all hype in my opinion.

I have caught alot of carp in my day and I have never had one break or bend a silly old Mustad hook that was a size 12 or larger. That includes the 94840 model.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:30 am

Mustads make up the foundation of my tying. I know them. They aren't cheap quality or overpriced and have served me well over the past 30 years. With that being said though, I am always a sucker for a 25 pack of overpriced pretty hooks. Its like going grocery shopping and buying a candy bar.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
RickA

Post by RickA » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:13 am

Trifly wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:00 am I am in the Wholesale Fly Company camp as well. I have started replacing my now discontinued Dai-Riki stock with them.
Wait... are you saying Dai-Riki is discontinuing their line of hooks, phasing out certain model numbers,
or you just like Wholesale Fly better?
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:25 pm

I was given a couple of flies tied on Saber hooks earlier this spring and they seem fine to me; no issues and they hold fish fine. My preference is normally Mustad but I'm not proud, I'll tie with damn near anything.

Dana! I think I've discovered my favorite hook: Mustad 57552. While going through that big box of gifted hooks this spring I found a single box of these little gems in #8 (they seem smaller than that to me) I love everything about these hooks!

...see what you started.
Trifly

Post by Trifly » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:52 pm

RickA wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:13 am
Trifly wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:00 am I am in the Wholesale Fly Company camp as well. I have started replacing my now discontinued Dai-Riki stock with them.
Wait... are you saying Dai-Riki is discontinuing their line of hooks, phasing out certain model numbers,
or you just like Wholesale Fly better?
Most Dai-Riki hooks are no longer available. I havent been able to buy the more popular models for over a year. The Laughing Grizzly fly shop and the Blue Quill Angler fly shop both told me DaiRiki is no more. I have not been able to order them any where online.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:15 pm

I think I have a bunch of Dai-Riki in storage in the garage. I'll see what I have and would be happy to send them out if someone wants them.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
Rscconrad

Post by Rscconrad » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:23 pm

Interesting thread. From asking about hooks, to dissing hooks, to supporting hooks to offers of free hooks.

You guys are pretty cool. Glad I joined.
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:25 am

Old Hat wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:15 pm I think I have a bunch of Dai-Riki in storage in the garage. I'll see what I have and would be happy to send them out if someone wants them.
Carl, I've never tied on those hooks, i'd love to have a few if you wouldnt mind.

Dave
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:34 am

Rscconrad wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:23 pm Interesting thread. From asking about hooks, to dissing hooks, to supporting hooks to offers of free hooks.

You guys are pretty cool. Glad I joined.
Yep, ADD, that's how we roll here! I was impressed that we still stayed on the subject of hooks. :lol:
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:24 pm

SenecaLaker wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:25 am
Old Hat wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:15 pm I think I have a bunch of Dai-Riki in storage in the garage. I'll see what I have and would be happy to send them out if someone wants them.
Carl, I've never tied on those hooks, i'd love to have a few if you wouldnt mind.

Dave
Sure, I'll get some out to you.