Sloane's fur fly inspired

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fly_fischa

Sloane's fur fly inspired

Post by fly_fischa » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:53 am

This fly was inspired by Sloane's fur fly, a well known Tasmanian fly for fishing the highland lakes. The body of the fly is created with a cross cut rabbit strip off a winter pelt. The strip should be 3-4mm thick and 15-20mm wide. Fold the outside edges of the hide into the centre of the strip so you end up with a triangle with the fur on the outside and the hide folded in on itself. Stroke the fur back keeping hold of the folded skin, place the fur over the hook so it cloaks/veils the shank. Get the desired length and tie it in. once secure cut off the skin and clean up with thread. The original calls for a peacock herl head, I opted for a Hebert Miner hen saddle in a unique variant flav. This is my swap fly...
hook is a TMC105 sz10

Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Sloane's fur fly inspired

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:38 am

That's brilliant. I can't wait to see this in person.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
ronr

Post by ronr » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:11 am

What REE said... makes my fly look like its tied by a rookie...
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Wow. Look at the head on the first picture; even the thread spacing on the finish is a thing of beauty. This is where I would put my hands in the air and do the Wayne and Garth "We're not worthy!" bit.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:19 pm

:shock: Astonishing!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:43 pm

Thank you all, you are too kind these are bushy unruly fishing flies, but purposefully so :)

The magic in the Sloane’s fur fly is in how it fishes. Most people don’t give it the thought or time it deserves and dismiss it as poorly tied or designed when they cast it out and it floats!

The highland lakes in Tassie are quite shallow high altitude, it’s wade polaroiding and in the early season fishing for what we call tailers. Fish that forage in the high water shallows before the sun gets up. You’ll often be kneeling in crunchy grass or ice ;)

This fly floats and takes quite a while to become waterlogged. If you want it to sink you can speed up the process by squeezing the fly when it’s wet or holding it under water and squeezing the trapped air bubbles out. Even once water logged the fly sinks slooooowly, if tied well it’s almost neutrally buoyant. I like to find a fish cast well ahead of it and past it’s feeding lane, give it one or two short sharp strips to get it under the surface, sometimes it rises to the surface again slowly and other times it sinks ever so slowly but it is usually suspended just right for when the trout reaches the fly. Lots of movement in this one especially with the generous hackle collar...

If the fly becomes too water logged, squeeze it out of the water or give it a few false casts and your good to go...

K
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:30 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:38 am That's brilliant. I can't wait to see this in person.
Karsten - These are great swap flies. I can’t wait to see these in person. Your tying and photography are always first rate. ;)

these are bushy unruly fishing flies

This describes most of the flies I tie and fish... :D ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:53 am

If those flies are 'bushy and unruly' then mine are a Jackson Pollock painting gone terribly wrong.
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:39 am

The photography jumps out at me here.