JUPITER WET FLY

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Variant

JUPITER WET FLY

Post by Variant » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:36 pm

HI All,
This is my first post.I am making the transition from books to the internet.While fishing YNP last year I met a guy swinging wet flies on the Gallitan River and he was doing quite well. The fly he was using was called a Jupiter Mayfly, he stated it is a wingless wet fly/flymph pattern.I have been tying for awhile and never heard of this pattern,maybe a local tie? Does anyone have any information on this pattern if so I would really appreciate it.
Thank you, Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: JUPITER WINGLESS WET FLY

Post by letumgo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:26 pm

Lou,

First off, welcome aboard. I’m glad you joined in right away. Hopefully one of our members can give you good feedback.

Look around, and feel free to contribute and share your experience.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:27 am

Hey Lou, Welcome aboard. I googled Jupiter wet fly patterns and got a bunch of flies, none of which were called a Jupiter wet fly. I'm thinking maybe a local pattern. Maybe our man in West Yellowstone can chime in if he knows about it.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:31 pm

I saw an old one (2012) called a Jupiter that had a big swirled bead on the butt. Either Mark L. or a guy called willowhead created it.
Last edited by zen leecher on Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:49 pm

Welcome, Variant!!
Soft and wet - the only way....
Variant

Post by Variant » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:28 am

thanks to all of you who have responded to my post and to all a great 4th of July!
lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:34 pm

zen leecher wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:31 pm I saw an old one (2012) called a Jupiter that had a big swirled bead on the butt. Either Mark L. or a guy called willowhead created it.
That sounds like a Willowhead pattern. :D

Welcome Lou. I have spent a lot of time out west, but never heard of that pattern.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:41 pm

Lou,

Do you remember the name of the guy who was fishing the Jupiter Mayfly? Perhaps it was Allen McGee. In McGee's book, fly-fishing Soft-Hackles: Nymphs, Emergers and Dry Flies, there is a picture of a fly called Jupiter Mayfly (see page 41). Unfortunately, there is no list of materials. The caption under the picture mentions ultraviolet reflection of Mayfly wings that can be imitated using Gray UV Ice Dub tied as an emerging wing. The fly in the book has "an overall orange coloration"; does that sound familiar?

Allen gave a presentation to our TU Chapter and I purchased a copy of this book. Perhaps I can find an e-mail address for him and ask if he is willing to share the list of materials for this pattern. Does anyone know if he is active on this Forum?

On page 2 of the book, there is a picture from June 2012 at Livingston Manor, NY with some members of the International Brotherhood of the Flymph. After just 6 months on this Forum, I recognize several of the names of people listed in this photo.

Tight Lines- Ken
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:26 pm

FlyFisherMann1955, Howdy;

Allen is a member of the forum. Look through the members list and you can PM or
perhaps find an email address.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Variant

Post by Variant » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:01 am

hi Ken,
Thanks for the detailed information.
I have all three of Allen’s books and I met him awhile back at the IFFF in Livingston Montana.I also looked at the photo in the book and it was none of the members.I will contact Allen through his website for the patterns material list.
Thanks again,Lou