JUPITER WET FLY

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FlyFisherMann1955

Re: JUPITER WINGLESS WET FLY

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:09 pm

If you're interested in the Jupiter Mayfly, here is the materials list for 3 color versions as tied by Allen McGee. I don't know if Allen is the guy Lou met on the Gallatin River, or if this is the correct pattern:

Gray Jupiter Mayfly
Hook: #12-#16 Mustad R30 (Light) or Mustad S82 Nymph (Heavy, shown) Depending on Desired Sink Rate
Thread: 12/0 Benecchi Light Dun
Abdomen: Danville Gray Rayon Floss
Ribbing: UTC Ultra Wire Black Small
Thorax: Hend’s #11 Gray Spectra Dubbing
Wing: Hareline Gray UV Ice Dub
Tail and Hackle: Gray Partridge

Yellow Jupiter Mayfly
Hook: #12-#16 Mustad S82 Nymph (shown) or R30 Dry. Depending on Sink Rate Desired
Thread: 6/0 Danville Flymaster Yellow
Abdomen: Danville Yellow Rayon Floss
Ribbing: UTC Ultra Wire Hot Yellow Small
Thorax: Hend’s #6 Golden Yellow Spectra Dubbing
Tail and Hackle: Yellow Hen Cape

Orange Jupiter Mayfly
Hook: #12-#16 Mustad S82 Wet or Mustad R50 Dry
Thread: 6/0 Danville Flymaster Orange
Abdomen: Orange Thread
Ribbing: Small Rust Ultra Wire
Thorax: Hend’s #94 Orange Spectra Dubbing
Tail and Hackle: Orange Hen Cape

I tried to add an attachment with a picture of the Orange Jupiter Mayfly; however, the file is too large (3+ MB) and I wasn't able to crop it to be small enough. If you would like to see the picture, you can e-mail me and I will e-mail it back to you. My e-mail address is: kpjrmann@cox.net

Tight Lines- Ken
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:29 pm

Ken sent me the photos to reduce and post. Here they are.
redux119.JPG
redux119.JPG (148.82 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
redux128.JPG
redux128.JPG (161.87 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
redux240 P1100318.JPG
redux240 P1100318.JPG (163.22 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:01 pm

8-) 8-) 8-) :D
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:52 am

Ken and Carl,

Those are really good looking flies. I'll have to tie a few for local brookies. Very nicely dressed flies, Ken. Thanks for getting those "postable", Carl.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Variant

Post by Variant » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:02 am

Hi Ken and Carl,
Thanks Ken for finding the information on the Jupiter Fly and Carl for posting the pictures.
The angler in question I met on the Gallatin was not Allen,he was much older and taller.When I asked what fly he was using he said,Jupiter Mayfly a wingless wet,flymph pattern.I did not see the fly.As I recall there was a PMD hatch later on in the day,possibly he was using the yellow or brown pattern would be my guess?
I am going to tie up some up for YNP later this month.
Thanks Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:04 am

ForumGhillie

Could you please move these into the Winged Wets Category so I know where to find them again. ;)

These are great looking and I will start tying with the Gray and Yellow,
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: JUPITER WET FLY

Post by letumgo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:55 am

Bill (Roadkill) - I've moved the tread as you requested.

Ken (FlyFisherMann1955) and Carl (Oldhat) - Thank you for adding the recipes and photos. You guys make a great team. Nice job. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
ronr

Post by ronr » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:40 pm

I was thumbing through some old Fly Tyer mags and in Spring 2015 came across a fly called the Lavender, tied by Igor Stancev.

It is similar to the Jupiter in that it had a flashy underwing.The original had a CDC hackle, ice dub body and used Lavender Angel Hair for the wing.
I stole their idea and my version has seen the water on the upper Metolius and racked up large numbers of the smallish rainbows in that part of the river...the Jupiter is surely going to work too.. as soon as I tie some.

Here's my version of the Lavender... mine uses Hareline UV Minnow Belly for the wing and a dun hen feather for the hackle... it worked wonders when there were small mayflies coming off in the mornings..
fullsizeoutput_6d8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6d8.jpeg (210.41 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
the head is a little messy and the photo isn't very sharp..but you get the idea...
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:22 am

Thanks to Allen McGee for sending the list of materials and pictures for his version of the Jupiter Mayfly and to Carl for posting these pictures.

Lou,

Since you know it wasn't Allen fishing the Jupiter Mayfly on the Gallitan, the mystery continues. Especially since the guy on the Gallitan said his "Jupiter Mayfly" was a "wingless fly". Allen's version has a wing, although not the classic wet fly wing made of matched duck quills (think Lead-wing Coachman).

Has anyone else used this UV Ice Dub to imitate an "emerging wing"? So much to learn; so little time!

Tight Lines- Ken