Copying an old pattern

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Copying an old pattern

Post by DUBBN » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:21 am

While browsing through a pinned thread named "A fly from the Master " this little pattern caught my eye as it uses mole. One of my favorite materials for tiny midge emergers.

I used a Mustad 3906 hook, size 18 to copy the hook as best I could.

Normally on flies smaller than this I use mole as the collar if I am tying them to mimic midges.

It took a couple trys to get the hackle length correct.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Copying an old pattern

Post by letumgo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 am

I love this kind of post, on many levels. Seeing old flies being replicated, for fishing purposes.

I look forward to hearing how these flies work for you Wayne. Bring a camera. ;) :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:53 pm

It's a fly I tie and fish a lot. As you say, it's a good midge imitation. Nice to see somebody else's interpretation.

I've often wondered what insect Leisenring was referring to when he called it an Iron Blue. Yes, I know it's the name of the English pattern he was copying, but he mentioned that it (either the nymph or the wingless wet -- I don't remember which) was especially good when there were iron blues on the water. We don't have the British fly of that name in this country. I'm guessing blue quills,but I don't know for sure. I've had the most success with the pattern in a stream that doesn't have blue quills, though.
Bob
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:20 am

Tied small for midges is about the only thing I've had luck using it for.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:59 am

Old Hat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:20 am Tied small for midges is about the only thing I've had luck using it for.
From November till April midges and attractor patterns (eggs/worms) account for 90% of the fish I take. That's good news to my ears.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:30 pm

redietz wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:53 pm It's a fly I tie and fish a lot. As you say, it's a good midge imitation. Nice to see somebody else's interpretation.

I've often wondered what insect Leisenring was referring to when he called it an Iron Blue. Yes, I know it's the name of the English pattern he was copying, but he mentioned that it (either the nymph or the wingless wet -- I don't remember which) was especially good when there were iron blues on the water. We don't have the British fly of that name in this country. I'm guessing blue quills,but I don't know for sure. I've had the most success with the pattern in a stream that doesn't have blue quills, though.
Being that it is tailless, I am tying and fishing it as a midge. Just before the Mothers Day Caddis appears on the rivers I fish, a midge hatch comes off. maybe 30 to 14 days prior. The midges are rather large. Perhaps as big as an 18. Some are Black, some are Gray, and others are a combination of both. At its peak, the back eddies look like a grotesque oil slick because of all the midge shucks. Those big, Gray midges could be viewed as an Iron Blue. That is a wild guess on my part.

I used UTC 140 in Wine for the body. I rarely use wax, but I do have some generic, bottom of the line wax that I applied to the thread. It did darken the thread a little but not much. I do not use silk, but I do know that applying different types of wax to it will result in different hues . I will have to use a different thread to achieve the deep rich color of this pattern. Then finish the head off with a Wine thread.

As is, the three flies I tied will catch fish for me this year. Of that I have no doubt. Like I said, the pattern caught my eye.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:51 pm

Just for fun I tied one up using materials Leisenring did not have. Micro Tubing, Bic Marker, and UV resin.

I could not help myself.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:43 pm

You Rebel! :twisted: ;) :D

Love it!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:39 pm

Wayne,
Your pattern is awesome! I love every aspect of it! The epoxy adds a whole new dimension to the look of the abdomen! The whole fly has a bugginess that can't be beat!
Keep feeding us,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:48 pm

NICE FLIES!! 8-)

And a pattern I enjoy in 16's & 18's.