Attachments
Orange amd Peacock Spider.jpg
Orange amd Peacock Spider.jpg (105.07 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Grouse and Flash

Post by letumgo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:37 am

Gorgeous! You should join our swap. :D

Or you could just send me a dozen... :twisted: (kidding)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:46 am

letumgo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:37 am Gorgeous! You should join our swap. :D

Ray

Don't know how many of these I have left but drop me a PM and I'll mail you some of my old (heavilty hackled) soft hackles, ok?

Bob
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:10 pm

joaniebo, Howdy;

:shock: oooooooow, pretty, pretty, with me come my precious .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:22 pm

Why not flat silver tinsel instead of Mylar? I think it would be better proportioned in a shorter shanked hook.
Just how I might tie it.
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:43 am

letumgo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:37 am Gorgeous! You should join our swap. :D

+1

and you CAN send me a dozen....NOT Kidding :o :o :o
Soft and wet - the only way....
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:12 am

Barry, I can only assume here, that the OP chose the Pearl Mylar because it's semi transparent, picking up the subtle hues of the underlying material, whether that's a bare hook shank, thread, etc. Personally, I think it works.

As to the shorter shanked hook, I'd have to see a side by side comparison. I do tend to tie on 1x short hooks myself, but that's just personal preference.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:33 am

I use Opal and Pearl Mylar as Ron said because of the translucent effect and also because of the iridescent color effect of the material. The Opal, Pearl and Holographic mylars offer a different flash than plain old tinsels.

I tie with metal tinsels as well as older Mylar silver and gold flat tinsels, also the newer Mylar with one color on one side and something different on the other. Over 60 years ago at my first tying lesson, I learned that a change in color, size and shape of my tinsel or wire ribs could change my catch rate on a dubbed nymph with the same body. That same lesson came with my first instruction in making dubbing and wet blending furs in a coffee can to achieve the color I wanted. This was followed up that summer by fishing those same flies with my tying mentor and learning about depth control and different retrieves.
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:59 pm

I was fishing today on the Sacramento River for one or two Sac Footballs i today and in the past have experimented with Mylar vs Tinsel’s. Guess which wins hands down, not the flashy flies. My copies of Frank Sawyer PT’s work great as well as a Birds Nest. The flashiest fly I have success on is a Prince Nymph, even then I cut the biots way back.
I’m guide, have been for twenty six years, if anyone want to come and prove me wrong your trip is on me. If I win you donate my regular fee to our local club! I just don’t get the how and why flashy flies work in trout. Maybe bass or other predators but not around here in northern Californian. I’ve never seen a Caddis fly or a nymph wearing a diamond ring. The magic bullets of flies were mainly discovered many years ago.
Anyone up for the challenge?
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:13 pm

Bazzer69 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:59 pm I was fishing today on the Sacramento River for one or two Sac Footballs i today and in the past have experimented with Mylar vs Tinsel’s. Guess which wins hands down, not the flashy flies. My copies of Frank Sawyer PT’s work great as well as a Birds Nest. The flashiest fly I have success on is a Prince Nymph, even then I cut the biots way back.
I’m guide, have been for twenty six years, if anyone want to come and prove me wrong your trip is on me. If I win you donate my regular fee to our local club! I just don’t get the how and why flashy flies work in trout. Maybe bass or other predators but not around here in northern Californian. I’ve never seen a Caddis fly or a nymph wearing a diamond ring. The magic bullets of flies were mainly discovered many years ago.
Anyone up for the challenge?
Barry
I would love to.
In a room full of 100 people know how to pick out the guide? Wait 30 seconds, he will tell you.