Brain out of sync!

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Brain out of sync!

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:47 am

:lol: :D

What are you planning to tye with these? Looks like they would be useful for an iso imitation.

I know what you mean about cutting up Pearsall’s. That is why I use the method of wrapping it around the block (end-to-end), and use a little tool to grip the end of the strands. It minimizes the length of silk wasted in the process of forming the bodies.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:50 am

When I’m watching a fly tying video and the tyer cuts off a long tag of Pearsall’s gossamer or original Chadwick’s 477; it gives me the shivers.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:02 pm

I have some really fine baby mohair that is ideal for trout size flies. When I tried to buy more I found the ranch that I bought it from was for sale. I’m very cautious about dyeing it. I bought some other mohair that is very much like seal. I paid $60 for a pound and the rancher wouldn’t sell any more than that. The world of of mohair is more diverse than you would expect.
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:41 am

I hate to admit it, but I've started using a dubbing loop on some flies rather than using a dubbing block, simply because it uses less Pearsall's.
Bob
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:11 pm

redietz wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:41 am I hate to admit it, but I've started using a dubbing loop on some flies rather than using a dubbing block, simply because it uses less Pearsall's.
Bob - you aren't the only one! I only used Pearsalls on the clark block, but as of late I am back to the dubbing loop....and yes, the block uses ALOT more silk....

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....