Tinsels and other Bling...

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Re: Tinsels and other Bling...

Post by Roadkill » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:01 am

DUBBN,
Beautiful flies, I would catch fish on any of those and be glad to have them in my flybox.

Are any of the bottom flies tied with fluorescent dubbing? I consider hot dubbing to be another kind of bling.

I urge tyers to read What Fish See: Understanding optics and color shifts for designing lures and flies by Colin J. Kageyama. Appreciating the effect of fluorescent colors was brought to my attention in the late 1980's by the Jed Davis book Spinner Fishing for Salmon, Steelhead and Trout.

I didn't tie these flies to test them on fish. Rather they are a sub sample of bling that has proven effective for me on various other flies like nymphs and streamers in many different situations. One example is this Soft Hackle variation of the Lightning bug nymph I posted here in 2012...
ImageB0023598 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3673&p=43316&hilit= ... kle#p43316

I sat down at my vise immediately after fishing the LB Bead Head nymph touted in the Orvis News. It has proven effective in many waters when I have tested it in a multiple fly cast of more traditional flies.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:00 pm

Wayne & Bill - Beautiful flies guys. I enjoys seeing multiple patterns of fishing flies (bling or no-bling). They all look fun to tye and fish.

Thanks for sharing. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:09 pm

letumgo wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:00 pm Wayne & Bill - Beautiful flies guys. I enjoys seeing multiple patterns of fishing flies (bling or no-bling). They all look fun to tye and fish.
And they probably all catch fish equally well, but it's always fun to switch things up a bit when tying.
Bob
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:00 pm

Roadkill wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:01 am

Are any of the bottom flies tied with fluorescent dubbing? I consider hot dubbing to be another kind of bling.

Probably, I have quite a few dubbing blends that have UV material mixed in. If the color is what I want and happens to have UV I use it. I am not in the camp that UV is needed. I also do not think it hurts.

I tied some Mayhem Emergers this past Spring using Fluro Fiber as a rib. The patterns worked well. Not any better than the patterns with the standard Gold or Silver rib, but just as well.

Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:42 pm

Reading the fine topic on a Spun body nymph by ForumGhillie viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8775 I followed his link to the excellent TroutNut web page. For those who question using too much bling with modern synthetics I would offer this photo to consider.
Troutnut picture_194_full.jpg
Troutnut picture_194_full.jpg (173.49 KiB) Viewed 2359 times

I see nothing but bling emerging from a drab exoskeleton. Kelly Galloup discussed quite well fish keying on certain stages of emergence in his book Cripples and Spinners.To me this stillborn mayfly stuck in the shuck perfectly illustrates why I have had good luck at times with modern bling flies. Another fly example is my transition PMD from 2011...
ImageIMGP4664 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:50 pm

PMD Bling soft hackles...

Inspired by Jason's TROUTNUT photos
http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/7/Mayfly- ... endrickson
and a tying session earlier this week at ronr's house I decided to add some more bling to my existing PMD patterns to test fish this year.

The first one is tied with a ginger shuck, a light yellow Super Fine PMD Dubbing body ribbed with a 3 strand twist of Pearl Krystal Flash and a collar of Midge Gray Micro Zelon under the dun hackle.
ImageIMGP9807 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

The second has a body of Opal Mirage Tinsel ribbed with a strand of Kinkame Yellow Silk up to the thorax of Super Fine with the same Zelon Collar.
ImageIMGP9796 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

I can hardly wait to try these on a Hatch with a 3 fly cast with either a Partridge and Yellow or my plain PMD Flymph. ;)

Thanks again Ron for the chance to meet & tie with some of your tying and fishing buddies! 8-)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:37 pm

Bill - What size hook are you using for these flies? They are now on my tying list. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:06 am

Ray,

These are on a Mustad 94840 #14. I wanted to stay higher in the water column because of the backlighting effect shown in Jason's photo. I will also try a heavier nymph hook and wire ribs to fish a little deeper or for swinging just subsurface in swifter current.

Bill
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:23 am

tasty fly Bill thanks for joining us at our little tying session last week. Next time maybe we can put these guys to work on the Crooked.
redietz

Post by redietz » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:44 pm

I like the Zelon collar. I don't remember seeing that before.
Bob