Sucessor to Pearsall's Gossamer

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

paparex

Sucessor to Pearsall's Gossamer

Post by paparex » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:51 pm

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and are looking forward to a great New Year!

I got an Instagram post from my friend Grant Bench, @theflyninja, about Morus Silks. Morus is the successor to Pearsalls and the US distributor is Gunpowedercustometackle.com ,(https://www.gunpowdercustomtackle.com/p ... -superfine). The online store is in Colorado. The price is not cheap ( $8.50/bobbin) but it is about availability not price.

Check out the site and see if this is the awaited supplier of fine silk thread.

BTW, Grant is a fly tier extraordinary. I am mesmerized by his soft hackles as I am a fan of many of yours.

Rex
FlyFisherMann1955

Re: Sucessor to Pearsall's Gossamer

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:33 pm

Rex,

I appreciate the update. There has been some info about this silk from Morus. See the 3-page post below called: New Pearsall's Silk Substitute. It's good to know there is a U.S. source, although the color selection is very limited. Encourage your friend to post some pictures of his soft hackle flies so the rest of us can enjoy them too!

Thanks- Ken
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:05 pm

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:33 pm Rex,

Encourage your friend to post some pictures of his soft hackle flies so the rest of us can enjoy them too!

Thanks- Ken
I would like to see them too.

dd
paparex

Post by paparex » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:02 pm

daringduffer wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:05 pm
FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:33 pm Rex,

Encourage your friend to post some pictures of his soft hackle flies so the rest of us can enjoy them too!

Thanks- Ken
I would like to see them too.

dd
See below:
"...Here’s a few recent ties. You may post them up if you wish. Honey dun n primrose, The Holy Trinity on one hook (snipe n purple, partridge n orange, and waterhen bloa) and lastly an unnamed Irish style mayfly tied to appear as if it’s on fire. Thanks for the kind words :) Best, Grant"
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (213.74 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (536.48 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (337.68 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:38 pm

Please thank Grant for sharing the photos with us. The flies are gorgeous! I smiled when I saw the Holy Trinity. Neato! :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:32 pm

I'm pretty sure Grant is a member here, Nativecutt is the handle. He was in one of the swaps a while back. Yes, he's a very talented tier.

I haven't been happy with any of the "replacment" silks I've tried, other than the Kimono. The Semperfli was too thick and fuzzy, the 54 Dean Street is on a terrible wood spool and lacks the finish of Pearsall's. I have some of the Morus on order to try that, so the jury is still out.

Vickie, my lovely wife, insisted I place an order with Jim Slattery for some of the real thing. I mean, after getting her an HMH TRV for Christmas, how could she not. Love tying with the real thing.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:32 pm

Thank you for the photo. The 'pick your own choice' fly was rather funny. Honey dun n primrose would be my first choice.

dd