Starling source...

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mike62

Starling source...

Post by Mike62 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:08 am

Does anybody have a domestic supplier of Starling skins they could recommend? I've bought mine from Cookshill in the past but the price is now more than I'm willing to pay at this point in the festivities. I see a lot of people selling Starling but never having purchased from any of them I'm in the dark as to the quality.

Thanks!

Mike
driftless

Re: Starling source...

Post by driftless » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:18 am

Mike,

I get a lot of stuff from J. Stockard.

...or if you have a bb gun, you know....

Paul
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:21 am

Mike

I've purchased quite a few starling skins from US suppliers ove the years but have gone back to buying them from Cookshill. Might be more expensive but I think his skins are the best. Maybe there's a US company that imports his materials but I'm not sure.

Bob
ronr

Post by ronr » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:32 am

the usual fly shop varieties that I"ve found here in central oregon are ok... they are cheap, about $5 for a skin and I pick up new ones anytime I find a decent one. There's plenty of feathers for the small spiders I tie and can find usable feathers on any of the cheap domestic birds I buy. We are not overrun with strarlings in our part of the world, so I can't use the bb method.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:39 pm

Now is the ideal time to trap starlings. Even the Audubon Society condones it. Lots of ideas on YouTube. I found a hunter who shoots them so I have a few in the freezer. The males, with the longer neck hackles, are the most valuable.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:03 pm

I used to get them from Cookshill, and once from Denny Conrad of Conranch Hackle. For me it's quicker to just get them from J. Stockard https://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-starling-skin . I've ordered both the Hareline and Nature's Spirit and have a hard time telling the difference. They're not Cookshill, but they are cheap and readily available.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:24 pm

Thank you, gentlemen. I'll give Stockard a try I think; I've bought other material from them with no trouble. I'd love to be able to shoot my own but I've never seen them this far north.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:47 pm

Aaron Ostoj often has some of good quality. About 2x the shop cost, you'll have to decide if worth it. He often has very nicely dyed options too and can custom dye for you.

https://www.aaronmostojfeathers.com/sto ... Skins.html
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:27 pm

I think in the past the three sources I've used are 1) Great Feathers, 2) Blue Ribbon and 3) back yard.

Last I bought was from Great Feathers and it was a good skin.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:40 pm

Old Hat wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:47 pm Aaron Ostoj often has some of good quality. About 2x the shop cost, you'll have to decide if worth it. He often has very nicely dyed options too and can custom dye for you.

https://www.aaronmostojfeathers.com/sto ... Skins.html
Thank you, Carl. I've been trying to think of his name for months (that happens more often when you get old). I got some beautifully dyed starling from him at one of the expos out west. Thanks for the memory bump.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"