CDC and Seal Emergers (concept flies)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

CDC and Seal Emergers (concept flies)

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:56 pm

CDC and Seal Emergers
Hook - Daiichi Standard Nymph Hook (Model 1710/Size 12)
Thread - 8/0 UNI-Thread (Olive Dun)
Tailing Shuck - Fly Tying Dungeon's Shuck Yarn Blend (Equal Parts Brown; Tan and Amber fibers)
Abdomen/Thorax - Seal Dubbing Blend (Equal Parts Natural; Brown; Olive; Golden Olive and Brown Seal)
Body Hackle - CDC feather (Natural Dun)
Front Hackle - Hen Pheasant Wing Covert Feather (Natural Mottled Brown)

Seal dubbing blend components - equal parts each color (or whatever you want)

Blended Seal Dubbing

Prepared CDC feather

Tying sequence

Swim testing

Animation

Dunk test

(Full body palmer - no tailing shuck)

drop testing

Drowning test

Full body palmer - CDC tail and Tailing Shuck - Seal Dubbing brushed out

Drop Testing Again

Everyone out of the pool!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Variant

Re: CDC and Seal Emergers (concept flies)

Post by Variant » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:19 am

Very well done Ray!
The use of colors, movement and translucency is outstanding in your concept pattern.

What I don’t understand is why Cdc was not used more years ago by the early Fly tiers? Certainly the material was available to them.
Showing the movement in the water says it all!

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:01 am

Great attention to detail Ray. I enjoyed your videos.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:07 pm

Thanks guys.

I had expected the CDC to resist wetting more than it did. I was expecting the CDC fibers to envelop the body in an air bubble (which it did for a short time) but after a few dunks under the surface, the fibers did not trap air very well. Perhaps the natural oils are gone from the feathers I have.

One of the things that caught my attention was how little movement (or current) was needed to set the CDC fibers in motion under water. They danced very freely, with the slightest motion.

The moment the fly breaks the surface of the water, all the fibers spring outwards, creating movement and the appearance of a struggling insect. I'm convinced that this instant impression of life (i.e. - the moment a wet fly breaks through the surface film), is a key element that make soft hackle flies so successful.

I was also playing around with the density of the CDC fibers, to see how it impacted the behavior of the fly. Using a single palmered feather, allowed the fly to break thru the surface film fairly easily (only taking several drops onto the water surface to finally break thru). The other two patterns have three CDC feathers, palmered along the body. The higher density of CDC fibers, helped the flies resist sinking (it took more effort to finally sink the flies). The bushiest fly, had the seal fur brushed out, in addition to a CDC tail. This version floated the best of the three.

It seems like the same general fly could be fished several ways (sunk/emerger/dry), depending on the hackle density.

Variant

Post by Variant » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:52 pm

Ray,
I use CDC in many of my patterns.CDC is so versatile,you can use the feathers in so many ways, like you are demonstrating, wet or dry.
That is why Leon Links in his book titled TYING FLIES WITH CDC calls CDC the fisherman’s miracle feather.
Thanks again for the great videos.
Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:08 pm

Nice flies!!
I would like to see if the blended shuck out fishes a single color one. :idea:
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:35 pm

Variant wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:19 am --------------
What I don’t understand is why Cdc was not used more years ago by the early Fly tiers? Certainly the material was available to them.

Lou
:shock:

Marc Petitjean didn't invent cdc until recently....

:P

dd
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:48 pm

Roadkill wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:08 pm I would like to see if the blended shuck out fishes a single color one. :idea:
The blended color shuck just looks so natural to me, it builds my confidence in the pattern. Confidence may help, but ultimately the fish decide. :twisted: all part of the fun. :D

Stefan - :lol: :D

DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:03 pm

Absolutely amazing Ray! I especially like the one dunk test where the cdc feathers capture (or retain?) a silvery, shiny air bubble and take it under the surface! Wow! These patterns definately have emerger written all over them! It's too bad that that entire process (emerging) is so short! Your patterns are boss Ray! You get an A+ for design and execution!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:10 am

Ray
Excellent tutorial per your usual modus operandi. You absolutely must purchase this trinket: the Mark Petit Jean magic tool. I saw Oliver Edwards use one of these to tie Cadis patterns, so I had to have one. It is not only good for CDC, but it works with other feathers and materials as well. I was discussing this with one of my local buddies last night and he told me there’s a video online of this item in use. If I can find it I will either post it here or send it to you, as I don’t want to hijack your thread...

Well done, my friend!!

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....