North Country spider article

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

redietz

Re: North Country spider article

Post by redietz » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:18 am

I love stuff! So glad you choose this forum to have this discussion.
Bob
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:22 am

redietz wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:18 am I love stuff! So glad you choose this forum to have this discussion.
Be our guest and all. I will reply to any reasonable question, and I am sure so will Rob.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:40 am

When I first got into fly tying years ago; I learned that one of the mysteries of fly tying was; how did Rogan got the color for his Fiery Brown fly. The only clue, apparently, was that he used donkey urine. I did a huge amount of research, traveled hundreds of miles, did a number of dye experiments and spent a ton of money. In the end I learned that nobody gives a #&%@.
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:47 am

wsbailey wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:40 am When I first got into fly tying years ago; I learned that one of the mysteries of fly tying was; how did Rogan got the color for his Fiery Brown fly. The only clue, apparently, was that he used donkey urine. I did a huge amount of research, traveled hundreds of miles, did a number of dye experiments and spent a ton of money. In the end I learned that nobody gives a #&%@.
Especially not the donkeys. A lot of the way we fish today is governed by what happened in the past, but it doesn't mean to say that what they did way back was right. Personally, I will settle for any shade of Fiery Brown that doesn't involve me collecting donkey pee.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:06 am

Anherd wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:47 am
wsbailey wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:40 am When I first got into fly tying years ago; I learned that one of the mysteries of fly tying was; how did Rogan got the color for his Fiery Brown fly. The only clue, apparently, was that he used donkey urine. I did a huge amount of research, traveled hundreds of miles, did a number of dye experiments and spent a ton of money. In the end I learned that nobody gives a #&%@.
Especially not the donkeys. A lot of the way we fish today is governed by what happened in the past, but it doesn't mean to say that what they did way back was right. Personally, I will settle for any shade of Fiery Brown that doesn't involve me collecting donkey pee.
I called these my "Fiery March Brown Soft Hackle Nymphs"
Attachments
Fiery March Brown SH Nymphs.jpg
Fiery March Brown SH Nymphs.jpg (94.66 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:07 am

Aged urine has been used since ancient times for cleaning and dyeing. I have an Irish dye book from around 1900 that tells how to make an indigo vat with it. In County Donegal, where Rogan lived, the weavers were still gathering lichens (crottle) up to 1940 to dye the wool for their tweed clothing. Francis Francis tells us that believed Rogan used crottle for dyeing.
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:13 am

[/quote]

I called these my "Fiery March Brown Soft Hackle Nymphs"
[/quote]

They look fierce tasty.
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:14 am

wsbailey wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:07 am Aged urine has been used since ancient times for cleaning and dyeing. I have an Irish dye book from around 1900 that tells how to make an indigo vat with it. In County Donegal, where Rogan lived, the weavers were still gathering lichens (crottle) up to 1940 to dye the wool for their tweed clothing. Francis Francis tells us that believed Rogan used crottle for dyeing.
It is interesting, I have a feeling we won't ever quite get to the bottom of it though.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:28 am

I think the reason Rogan never revealed the process in print is because it was common knowledge. I have some of the extract that was used to dye Tyrian purple. The exact process was lost to history in the 15th century. Later the process was re-discovered centuries later. But because it was a result of experimentation and not an actual written record; we can't say this is the purple of ancient times. It's a modern interpretation.
Anherd

Post by Anherd » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:05 pm

wsbailey wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:28 am I think the reason Rogan never revealed the process in print is because it was common knowledge. I have some of the extract that was used to dye Tyrian purple. The exact process was lost to history in the 15th century. Later the process was re-discovered centuries later. But because it was a result of experimentation and not an actual written record; we can't say this is the purple of ancient times. It's a modern interpretation.
That might well be right, but remember that article in Alexander's Salmon Fishing in Canada? Even in the 1860s there must have been a lot of disagreement about what the 'real' fiery brown was!