Daiichi Hooks - New stock

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Smuggler

Daiichi Hooks - New stock

Post by Smuggler » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:09 pm

Hi guys,

Been awhile since I've posted anything here, my apologies!

I wanted to reach out and ask you guys about any noticeable quality issues on new stock Daiichi hooks.
Finishing, tempering, etc...

I've heard some things about the Daiichi brand in the US and quality going downhill.

Would be anxious to see what you guys have come across in the past year or two.

Cheers,
DUBBN

Re: Daiichi Hooks - New stock

Post by DUBBN » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Long time no see. I am glad to see you are still kicking.

I was never a big fan of Daichi, but I still have a few 1100's in stock. Not long ago I received two boxes of size 16, 1530 and 1550 hooks. Both models bent way too easy while tying, and while fishing. I thought it was me, and very well could be. I threw them away and thought nothing more about it till your post.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:06 pm

Smuggler wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:09 pm Hi guys,

Been awhile since I've posted anything here, my apologies!

I wanted to reach out and ask you guys about any noticeable quality issues on new stock Daiichi hooks.
Finishing, tempering, etc...

I've heard some things about the Daiichi brand in the US and quality going downhill.

Would be anxious to see what you guys have come across in the past year or two.

Cheers,
Eric
Yes - in the not too distant past, Daiichi was among the top producers in the world. About five years ago a friend of mine who has inside information and told me they would be changing processes. So I stocked up :D
Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2019: that same friend had some of the newer vintage hooks, and they were quite terrible, similar to the new partridge hooks which earn an equal ranking spot in the garbage can.
All of the previous is in my humble opinion, of course!

Now if I could just find someone to send me some of those nice fancy new Fulling Mill hooks :twisted:
Soft and wet - the only way....
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:08 pm

Theroe wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:06 pm

Now if I could just find someone to send me some of those nice fancy new Fulling Mill hooks :twisted:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dd
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:34 am

Daiichi 1640, Kamasan 980 and Drennan Specimen hooks all appear to be identical. The Drennan hooks were the ones recommended by Roger Fogg for spiders. So, is Daiichi the only one going downhill or are they all in it together?
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:54 pm

I use Daiichi hooks a lot, and have not noticed any issues with hook quality. However, I cannot attest to when the hooks were made. I need to look at the packaging, to see if their is any manufacturing date, or lot numbers listed in the fine print.

One of the things I really like about the Daiichi hooks is their sharpness. When I first started tying, I used a lot of older Mustad hooks (the ones with the beautiful harpoon like barbs). When I tried tying on the Daiichi hooks the first time, I was constantly piercing my finger tips on the needle like points. I had not had this issue on the older Mustad hooks (points were not nearly as sharp). I think the newer Mustad hooks are much sharper (perhaps identical to the Daiichi hooks).

I have not tried any of the Fulling Mill hooks (sorry Eric). I'm still a fan of micro barbed hook, and most of the vendors only carry barbless FM hooks.

I still only buy barbed hooks (*). That way I have the choice to crush the barb, or leave it intact.

(*) - I know this makes me a bad person, but using barbless hooks is not going to change that... (humor/kidding)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
NedZeppelin

Post by NedZeppelin » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:33 pm

One of my favorite lines in the Gierach “Good Flies” book is his back and forth between a fly shop owner:

“Who told you Mustad hooks fail?”

“The Tiemco rep.”

:lol:
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:53 pm

I've used vitually nothing except Daiichi hooks for many years. Am still using up a few Mustads that I've had for awhile but tend not to use too many of the Mustads. I think the Daiichi hooks are sharper and since I crush down the hook barbs before I tie any fly, the Daiichi's "crushed barbs" are noticeably smaller that the Mustads. I think I lost a lot more fish when using the Mustads as I don't think the hook penetrates as easily and deeper as the Caiichi hooks. Just an OLD guy's opinion.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:01 pm

Hi Everyone!
Daiichi brand hooks were a favorite of our pal Bill Shuck for many years! He liked them for all the reasons you guys mentioned above. Sorry Eric, I have not bought any Daiichi hooks for over a year so, I cannot say about their quality issues! This may give me an excuse to lay up a few.....for quality control purposes of course!
I have been noting Fulling Mills offerings on various tying videos and ads and such! Lots of interesting shapes and features that are tailored especially to the needs of us soft-hackled/flymph fanatics!
It's good to hear from you Eric! We trust you have been doing well!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:46 pm

[/quote]
Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2019: that same friend had some of the newer vintage hooks, and they were quite terrible, similar to the new partridge hooks which earn an equal ranking spot in the garbage can.
[/quote]

I just bought a bunch of Partridge hooks, can you tell me which series you're speaking of, because if they are no good I won't buy them again. Please, don't say they are the Patriot series.