Which Pheasant Tail ?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Bobfly

Which Pheasant Tail ?

Post by Bobfly » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:16 pm

I hope that a photo will be attached below showing 6 sample pheasant tail feathers. The centre four are hen the outer 2 are cock pheasant and you will see the considerable variation. I do not remember in any of my angling books what tail barbs are specified for the likes of a ptn. Does anyone have anything on this?
I like ptns made with the grey hen barbs although they are shorter to use so you can make the nymph in stages.
DUBBN

Re: Which Pheasant Tail ?

Post by DUBBN » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:50 pm

I am not seeing any photos. For me, I only use the 3 center feathers from the rooster . I have seen nymphs tyed with hen, but it didnt appeal to me.

Try them all. The fish will tell what they like to eat.
Bobfly

Post by Bobfly » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:35 am

I tried to add one photo of 6 feathers using the "add file" part but it did not go through. My query really relates to the marked differences that there are but nothing specific in the old books. Some authors like Oliver Kite use ptns almost exclusively.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:00 pm

Authors? Fish can not read.
😉
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:40 pm

I'm like DUBBN, the three center tail feathers from a cock pheasant are my go to feathers. Good markings and long length.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"