Eurasian Collared-Dove - Reference Photos

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

REE04419

Re: Eurasian Collared-Dove - Reference Photos

Post by REE04419 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:57 am

The Collared Doves were/are a nuisance bird in WA State, forcing out the smaller, native, Mourning Dove. Our bird feeders were besieged by the critters when we lived in western WA. Haven't seen one here in Maine, thankfully. We do have a flock of about 20 Mourning Doves, plus close to a dozen wild turkeys and a couple of grouse that call our little slice of heaven home.
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:20 pm

daringduffer wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:57 pm
I don't know if you have wood pigeons on your continent. The well known author and fly tier Geoffrey Bucknall writes that he prefers that bird rather than heron for his Kite's Imperials. For body herl, not hackle. Secondaries. Coverts are fragile stuff, but utilized by some British lake/reservoir fishermen. George Barron is one of them.
dd
dd,
Wood pigeons are not native to North America, but neither are collared-doves. To my knowledge however, wood pigeons were never introduced here, and I've not seen skins for sale. Collared-doves were introduced at the request of hunters, but as mentioned above, they have become a real nuisance in parts of the country. Looking at online photos and info about wood pigeons, they are considerably larger than collared-doves, but the feathers are interesting. So many birds ... so little time.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:51 pm

Phil

Good pics and hackles. Another one you got on me......very nice. Cheers.

Bob