Stripped Peacock Quill Bodies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Trifly

Re: Stripped Peacock Quill Bodies

Post by Trifly » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:30 pm

Theroe wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:30 am
John
Yes, I’ve tried them, and they make nice bodies, but I would rather strip and dye my own. One thing about Peacock is that it is not very translucent or durable-ditto for goose and condor.
IMHO, the very best “Quill for body” material is the stripped mallard quill, ala Ted Niemeyer. Duck quills are translucent with two dark edges, and slightly elastic.....very similar to grouse quill. LiBelieve me, once you try it, you will use nothing else.
Here’s a few pictures of some I made over the weekend, what do you think?

Dana

Does the soft hackle actually wrap around the body of the fly when it is in the water? I am referring to the first photo.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:42 pm

tie2fish wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:55 am
Theroe wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 am
The pieces I use are the center stems: the rachis. Sometimes I color them with Pantone pens, but more often than not I let the color of the silk underneath shine through.

It’s definitely a job to separate the hardcover written from the rest of the feather, But it’s well worth it. Someone on eBay is selling pre-stripped quills from Ted Niemeyer’s estate - I bought some, and they are beautiful.
Please be more specific, Dana ... I really want to know how to do this. The rachis from what feather? Do you cut the barbs from the stem or use some other method?
Bill-I’ll put some in to soak tonight when I get home, and take some pictures to post.
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:45 pm

Trifly wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:30 pm
Theroe wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:30 am
John
Yes, I’ve tried them, and they make nice bodies, but I would rather strip and dye my own. One thing about Peacock is that it is not very translucent or durable-ditto for goose and condor.
IMHO, the very best “Quill for body” material is the stripped mallard quill, ala Ted Niemeyer. Duck quills are translucent with two dark edges, and slightly elastic.....very similar to grouse quill. LiBelieve me, once you try it, you will use nothing else.
Here’s a few pictures of some I made over the weekend, what do you think?

Dana

Does the soft hackle actually wrap around the body of the fly when it is in the water? I am referring to the first photo.
Yes - The hackle undulates back-and-forth.......That’s the main reason that Scotch tied hackle is soooo deadly!
Soft and wet - the only way....
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:05 pm

Yes - The hackle undulates back-and-forth.......That’s the main reason that Scotch tied hackle is soooo deadly!
[/quote]

The middle picture, the hackling on that particular fly is what you refer to as 'Scotch hackle'? I've always been curious as to how you got that effect. Any insights you'd care to share on how to wrap it would be appreciated.

The bottom picture, what hook is that? It looks like it was hand forged by Dame Julianna herself.
Trifly

Post by Trifly » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Will this pattern of ronr lay back as well?
Attachments
quill body soft hackle.jpg
quill body soft hackle.jpg (64.43 KiB) Viewed 749 times
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:11 pm

What I like to do is submerge the flies in a jar water to see how the flies respond. In the warmer months I actually do testing in the river with real current to see how the flies act. At times I have used a GoPro or underwater point & click camera along a friend to assist so I can see how the flies respond in a real underwater situation. What we see above the water is a lot different than the flies underwater.

John
Trifly

Post by Trifly » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:24 pm

WiFlyfisher wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:11 pm
What I like to do is submerge the flies in a jar water to see how the flies respond. In the warmer months I actually do testing in the river with real current to see how the flies act. At times I have used a GoPro or underwater point & click camera along a friend to assist so I can see how the flies respond in a real underwater situation. What we see above the water is a lot different than the flies underwater.

John
So would the partridge lay down against the abdomen in current? The pattern of ronr's?
ForumGhillie
Site Admin

Post by ForumGhillie » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:35 pm

Trifly wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:24 pm
WiFlyfisher wrote:

John
So would the partridge lay down against the abdomen in current? The pattern of ronr's?
Not necessarily.

See my post to help answer your question... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8123&p=91453#p91453

John
Trifly

Post by Trifly » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:52 am

WiFlyfisher wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:35 pm
Trifly wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:24 pm
WiFlyfisher wrote:

John
Not necessarily.

See my post to help answer your question... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8123&p=91453#p91453

John
I certainly appreciate your efforts. I wonder how the hackle responds in water that is a bit more turbid. Or, after a few hours with a bit of fish slime on it. I wonder if being pulled out of the water and given a high velocity ride on a fly line a few dozen times would make a difference.

How would this pattern hold up to your experiment?
wet.jpeg
wet.jpeg (134.66 KiB) Viewed 686 times
Again, thank you for your efforts.
ronr

Post by ronr » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:23 am

this is interesting to me.... the behavior of the hackle in the stream. Its pretty hard to simulate the action of a fly in a river by dunking it in a jar... or swimming it in the sink...
but, do you veterans of swinging wets want that hackle to cling to the body as in the pictures, or protrude a bit from the body...

I've been of the opinion that the hackle us going to undulate while moving in the current, given the impression of life....