Furled Tenkara Leader - Instructions for Making Your Own

Moderators: letumgo, William Anderson

Tom Smithwick
antispam: No
count: 3

Re: Furled Tenkara Leader - Instructions for Making Your Own

Post by Tom Smithwick » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:31 am

Hi Norm - I think it would work, but if you start doing this in long lengths you would have the problem of keeping the long strands under control and separate. If I were going to use this method, I would probably not use the doubled butt section, I would continue to make shorter lengths out of progressively lighter mono, and just knot them together to whatever length I needed, the same as I do now. That way, you get a nice even taper. I have heard of people doing this sort of thing sitting at a table and running the strands through the handles of coffee mugs to keep them separate. Frankly, I think it's worth the trouble of setting up the jig, which assures you of constant tension and complete control of the process. Of course, I am a cane rodmaker, and we never saw a gadget we didn't like:)
letumgo
Site Admin
antispam: No
count: 3

Re: Furled Tenkara Leader - Instructions for Making Your Own

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:13 pm

Tom,

I bought three spools of flurocarbon tippet and have been playing around with making some different length versions of furled leaders. Hopefully they cast as well as the one you sent me last spring. I fished with your furled leader all summer, and it became my go-to rig for my Tenkara rod.

Thanks again for sharing. Making furled leaders is a fun winter project. I will make up a batch, with different lengths and tapers, to try out this spring.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Henry David Thoreau